Master Server Update

Our latest need-to-know information.
39 posts Page 2 of 3 First unread post
[BP]TheKeyToaster
Deuce

Yes, you understood.
It's that, i why the flag indicate the location of the server, and not the language ? Why not 2 flags, one for the language, and the other for the location.
Remains to be seen.... :)
StackOverflow
Head Admin / Co-founder
Head Admin / Co-founder

[BP]TheKeyToaster wrote:
Yes, you understood.
It's that, i why the flag indicate the location of the server, and not the language ? Why not 2 flags, one for the language, and the other for the location.
Remains to be seen.... :)
Well, there's no ideal way to tell what language a server "supports". At least not from a fully automatic perspective. Having that as an option for server owners could be confusing, just as with having 2 flags for each server.
Grimtech
Deuce

StackOverflow, you're my hero. I run a server, where can I acquire pysnip?
StackOverflow
Head Admin / Co-founder
Head Admin / Co-founder

kmaj wrote:
I've seen that aloha.pk TOW is in the CTF category, while aloha.pk Babel is in the TOW one.
What do you mean, on the serverlist?
Grimtech wrote:
StackOverflow, you're my hero. I run a server, where can I acquire pysnip?
Currently, the pysnip repo is no different from the initial pyspades codebase and there are no win32 builds ready, aside from what was tested the other night. I'll be posting an update regarding the forked server shortly, after adding some functionality and performing some much needed cleanup of maps, scripts, etc.
StackOverflow
Head Admin / Co-founder
Head Admin / Co-founder

That's a cached version of Jagex's serverlist. So it must either be an issue with their master server or the game server is misconfigured.
[BP]TheKeyToaster
Deuce

Thaks for your replies :)

So, I agree with you, but, for an automatic system, why not make the geolocate on "pysnip"?
In this way, the flag would correspond at the country (often identical language), but, if the server's owner would like change this, he would just change the pysnip's code, for an another language.
StackOverflow
Head Admin / Co-founder
Head Admin / Co-founder

[BP]TheKeyToaster wrote:
Thaks for your replies :)

So, I agree with you, but, for an automatic system, why not make the geolocate on "pysnip"?
In this way, the flag would correspond at the country (often identical language), but, if the server's owner would like change this, he would just change the pysnip's code, for an another language.
Well, the GeoIP database can become outdated rather quickly. That combined with the fact that something like that should be handled by the centralized server for "validation" purposes makes the master server more suitable for that sort of thing.
kmaj wrote:
StackOverflow wrote:
That's a cached version of Jagex's serverlist. So it must either be an issue with their master server or the game server is misconfigured.
So that's why the maps displayed aren't the same as the ones currently on servers.
That's my guess. Perhaps the server owner(s) would be able to clarify on that. If it's not something on their end, then Jagex's master server must have been derping.
[BP]TheKeyToaster
Deuce

Well, why not a line in the config.txt : In default, the flag is "unknow", and the server's owner put EN, FR, USA, or other, according his country.
a girl
Scripter
Scripter

Any way that we can subscribe to both if we aren't quite ready to ditch our entire player base? I'm assuming that the serverlist listing the Jagex list is no longer live as my info is not current... anyway, just thought I'd ask
StackOverflow
Head Admin / Co-founder
Head Admin / Co-founder

[BP]TheKeyToaster wrote:
Well, why not a line in the config.txt : In default, the flag is "unknow", and the server's owner put EN, FR, USA, or other, according his country.
Because that is, in essence, trusting the client (the game server is essentially the client in this case), which is never a good idea. Misleading information could be supplied, either intentionally or unintentionally.
a girl wrote:
Any way that we can subscribe to both if we aren't quite ready to ditch our entire player base? I'm assuming that the serverlist listing the Jagex list is no longer live as my info is not current... anyway, just thought I'd ask
I'm working on modifying the game server to work with multiple master servers. I'm aiming towards providing something as easy as being able to edit the config.txt file to add/remove master servers, like this:
Code: Select all
    "master_servers" : {
        "enabled" : true,
        "hosts" : {
            "184.172.204.137" : 32886,
            "127.0.0.1" : 32889
        }
    },
I currently have the connectivity/heart beat working, there are just a few things left to get working properly (disconnecting, reconnecting, etc). The game server's protocol is designed specifically for using [at the most] one master server.

Hopefully this will resolve that very issue you're talking about, essentially dividing player bases, while providing redundancy.
a girl
Scripter
Scripter

LOL it appears that Jagex decided that instead of forcing a mass exodus when everyone realizes that we are supplying a new master server, they are extending the life of their master server hahahaha

http://www.aceofspades.com/forums/showt ... es-Classic
a girl
Scripter
Scripter

Well, as they just deleted my post (it was up for a full month) about an alternate server list on BaS even though it was a perfectly useful post (considering their stupid server list is down again) and my server is currently hosting 22 players without their help, I think it's about time I make the permanent switch over. Time to stop supporting a company that refuses to support it's community. Here we go :D
a girl
Scripter
Scripter

High five for triple post :D
Anyway, I just thought it might be a nice touch if the new master server were to reward the servers that switch over... we shouldn't have cached server stats (from the Jagex list) that happen to have higher numbers pushing the new BaS master list subscribers down the list.
izzy
Head Admin / Co-founder
Head Admin / Co-founder

We're thinking about showing both server lists on the front page of BuildAndShoot.com. Servers that use our master server will be positioned before servers that use the aceofspades.com master server.

Do you have any other suggestions for rewarding servers that use our master server?
a girl
Scripter
Scripter

bring back the old total uptime ranking system... sub rank by player count then total uptime as default... but that doesn't really reward people who switch. over... so I'd stick the rest at the bottom...

Also, what's the ip I would need to list in my master.py file? is it the same one that's linked with buildandshoot.com?
39 posts Page 2 of 3 First unread post
Return to “Official News”