Build and Shoot Admining and moderating discussion

Comments and suggestions about the BuildAndShoot.com website.
16 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
danhezee
Former Admin / Co-founder

If you dont like the way something was handle. Come here to rant about it. Dont derail other topics.
Vezok
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

danhezee wrote:
name calling isn't on topic.
Except it was most definitely on topic in this case. Well, sort of. Twas in reply to the excessive wrongness of Lincent's remark.

Also,
Wait, isn't that name calling?
*This is the image that Blockbuster posted on the 1.0 forums of his ban as issued by danhezee here.*
danhezee

Vezok wrote:
danhezee wrote:
name calling isn't on topic.
Except it was most definitely on topic in this case. Well, sort of. Twas in reply to the excessive wrongness of Lincent's remark.

Also,
Wait, isn't that name calling?
*This is the image that Blockbuster posted on the 1.0 forums of his ban as issued by danhezee here.*
That obviously isn't on topic either. This thread isnt about administrating and moderating the forums. It is not going to derail into that. If you want to talk about some kid getting banned after going on a two or three day shit-posting binge, create another thread. Also, if your comments aren't about the topic in question don't post in the thread. If you can't articulate your points without insulting someone with a different point of view, don't post.

This is like the 9th generation of this topic. People end up getting mad and start insulting each other and then we have to lock it. This is a hot topic with strong views and opinions, almost like real life politics.
Vezok
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

danhezee wrote:
That obviously isn't on topic either. This thread isnt about administrating and moderating the forums. It is not going to derail into that. If you want to talk about some kid getting banned after going on a two or three day shit-posting binge, create another thread. Also, if your comments aren't about the topic in question don't post in the thread. If you can't articulate your points without insulting someone with a different point of view, don't post.

This is like the 9th generation of this topic. People end up getting mad and start insulting each other and then we have to lock it. This is a hot topic with strong views and opinions, almost like real life politics.
Really dan? Really? It's as if you read every fourth word of my post and looked at the picture, completely missing what I said in the process.

So let's back up, shall we? Lincent, a few posts back, makes the suggestion that you should not have ads (or something along those lines), not realizing in his stupidity that ads are the only way this site is still standing. Me, being the voice of reason, rebukes him in a very light manner. Now, you said to not post if it has to insult someone with a different point of view. Two things. A) Lincent's statement wasn't a point of view, it was flat-out incorrect and B) very few people would call my rebuke "insulting."

However, you come along and react to how I shouldn't call people stupid. I then post evidence of you doing the same thing, only much, much harsher. This is called hypocrisy, you see, and is usually a very, very bad thing, especially for the goddamned site admin.
You also rebuke me for bringing up a ban. However, if you had actually read my post you'd see that I am in no way questioning the ban for Blockbuster. In fact, I think you handled it poorly by not banning him sooner, but I am in no way appealing his case.

Another thing is, this is very much "on topic" as topics evolve. This topic was made with the intent of discussing the community's state of being. That includes your ability to administrate, which I must say isn't looking terribly great right now. This is especially true after that string of ranting you posted on the 1.0 forums.
Vezok
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

So I pretty much feel like this will become a graveyard of "rants" as you call them (you're a hypocrite) that are left to sit and die in complete ignorance. Unless you plan to respond to these in some way, I shall now regard this site under a censorship similar to the one Sniped exhibited on the 1.0 forums at first. You know, the very thing that this site was made to escape?
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

you crazy
Vezok
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Requesting that Jdrew's comment (as well as this one immediately after) be removed for the sake of it contributing nothing to the topic at hand.

Edit *
I
I
V Jdrew, shut the hell up.
Last edited by Vezok on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

Requesting that vezok be less over dramatic
danhezee

Vezok, I have no idea why you are so defensive. It is a simple request, I asked for you not to insult people commenting in the thread and stay on topic. I dont care for your justification, I just want the thread to stay on topic.
KingRa7en
Deuced Up

danhezee wrote:
If you dont like the way something was handle. Come here to rant about it. Dont derail other topics.
That's exactly what Vezok is doing here, he does not appreciate the way things are being handled. /ontopic

Name calling is not necessary in the slightest, however Dan you obviously can't call it against the rules if you yourself is doing it. And you can't sidestep the issue. The administration on any forum should always be the mature members. Either it's wrong, and you should apologize, or it's not wrong and you should not make an issue of it.

Admin's should be able to recognize their own mistakes, and a state of the community topic definitely calls for those to be brought up. Rather than insult those with a different point of view than your own, these should be taken into consideration for everyone's sake.
1Shot1Kill
Modder
Modder

KingRa7en wrote:
danhezee wrote:
That's exactly what Vezok is doing here, he does not appreciate the way things are being handled. /ontopic

Name calling is not necessary in the slightest, however Dan you obviously can't call it against the rules if you yourself is doing it. And you can't sidestep the issue. The administration on any forum should always be the mature members. Either it's wrong, and you should apologize, or it's not wrong and you should not make an issue of it.

Admin's should be able to recognize their own mistakes, and a state of the community topic definitely calls for those to be brought up. Rather than insult those with a different point of view than your own, these should be taken into consideration for everyone's sake.
I agree with this statement completely, this is what Vezok was trying to get across. Just because you are a admin doesn't mean you are exempt from any negativity from your actions.
danhezee

KingRa7en wrote:
danhezee wrote:

Banning someone for being stupid is not the same as correcting someone's behavior in the thread. And in this instance, I said "name calling isnt on topic." No one got a warning and no one was specifically called out. It was statement geared at everyone so the thread wouldn't end up locked and no one, not a single person, was punished for name calling. That is main part I dont understand, Vezok didn't get banned, didn't get warning, didn't get a threat that the next time would be a warning. But it is getting blown out of proportion

To answer your questions KingRa7en:

Have I insulted people in threads I am partcipating in? Yes

Does that mean I no long have the right to interject and tell other people to stop it to? No
KingRa7en
Deuced Up

danhezee wrote:
Banning someone for being stupid is not the same as correcting someone's behavior in the thread. And in this instance, I said "name calling isn't on topic." No one got a warning and no one was specifically called out. It was statement geared at everyone so the thread wouldn't end up locked and no one, not a single person, was punished for name calling. That is main part I don't understand, Vezok didn't get banned, didn't get warning, didn't get a threat that the next time would be a warning. But it is getting blown out of proportion

To answer your questions KingRa7en:

Have I insulted people in threads I am partcipating in? Yes

Does that mean I no [longer] have the right to interject and tell other people to stop it to? No
From a moderation standpoint I understand what you mean, insulting others is never constructive to a topic. I guess I misunderstood your point there.
ReubenMcHawk
Organizer
Organizer

Vezok wrote:
So let's back up, shall we? Lincent, a few posts back, makes the suggestion that you should not have ads (or something along those lines), not realizing in his stupidity that ads are the only way this site is still standing. Me, being the voice of reason, rebukes him in a very light manner. Now, you said to not post if it has to insult someone with a different point of view. Two things. A) Lincent's statement wasn't a point of view, it was flat-out incorrect and B) very few people would call my rebuke "insulting."

I took the liberty of italicizing the most subjective parts of that. Also want to point out that Lincent's suggestion is not incorrect, impractical maybe, but he's not wrong.

And yeah, I'm reading that post, and calling him stupid was a bit much. I mean yeah, it wasn't that bright of a suggestion, but there's a time and a place to be a jerk to somebody, and someone having an innocent-yet-bad idea isn't one.
However, you come along and react to how I shouldn't call people stupid. I then post evidence of you doing the same thing, only much, much harsher. This is called hypocrisy, you see, and is usually a very, very bad thing, especially for the goddamned site admin.
You also rebuke me for bringing up a ban. However, if you had actually read my post you'd see that I am in no way questioning the ban for Blockbuster. In fact, I think you handled it poorly by not banning him sooner, but I am in no way appealing his case.
All he did was ban him saying he was acting stupid. Maybe he used harsh words, big whoop. The message was meant for Blockbuster in the first place, now he knows not to act a fool when he comes back. If dan went around posting on the forums calling every other person he disagrees with a moron, that would be another thing, but this is just some usual mountain-from-a-molehill attempt to get some kind of "staff revolt" going on.
Another thing is, this is very much "on topic" as topics evolve. This topic was made with the intent of discussing the community's state of being. That includes your ability to administrate, which I must say isn't looking terribly great right now. This is especially true after that string of ranting you posted on the 1.0 forums.
Reading that thread, no it wasn't on topic. Nor was this whole attempt to sandbag him in that thread. Personally I like danhezee and I think he's a good admin, and this is coming from a guy whose first conversation with him was less than kind, so make what you will of that.
Vezok wrote:
So I pretty much feel like this will become a graveyard of "rants" as you call them (you're a hypocrite) that are left to sit and die in complete ignorance. Unless you plan to respond to these in some way, I shall now regard this site under a censorship similar to the one Sniped exhibited on the 1.0 forums at first. You know, the very thing that this site was made to escape?
Yeah no. Nothing was "censored" (that's an egregious use of that term btw) the derailing posts were just moved to a separate thread in the proper forum. That whole thread is hilarious too, that Blockbuster dude was clearly just here to shitpost and try to "troll" everyone, who cares if he's told to fuck off?

And I'm definitely against this whole "dan's a bad admin because of what he said on this other website" thing, that's just a weak argument honestly.

(Oh, and I really hope you don't seriously think that "new site admins" petition will do anything.)

Just some advice, Vezok: lighten up a bit? All I ever see is you insulting and attacking people on here over petty video game drama shit, and most of it really is unneeded. Like you started all this drama over dan just saying "no namecalling", all you had to do is shut up and carry yourself a little more politely, but instead you decided to turn this back around and try and start some revolution on both here and the 1.0 forums, which seems to have roused the lowest common denominator of the community. Good job there. This community really needs another organized moron task force.
Vezok
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

@Reuben, as much as I hate to admit it, you're probably right. I don't entirely agree with some of what you have to say, but overall you do make a good point. Maybe I let my deep hatred of Lincent get in the way. While I still think calling someone stupid and then having an actual content to the message is fine, perhaps I am being heavy-handed. IRL I'm known for being brutally negative, in a hilarious fashion, but conveying that on the internet is...hard. Forgive me.

However, I do still want dan here to be mindful of consistency when it comes to dealing with moderation. I did not intend this to turn into this "fight the system" movement it's starting to look like.

Also, I definitely don't think that petition will work. Tis for teh lulz. Nothing in anyone's signature should be taken seriously.
Besides, looking at it now it seems...dumb. I'll find something stupid that Jdrew said and put it on there instead.
16 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Return to “Site Feedback”