What's Next?

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
130 posts Page 8 of 9 First unread post
LeCom

Captain_Pi wrote:
LeCom wrote:
Maybe because it worked like that before 0.60?
What happened before 0.60? I don't recall a mass influx of new players then.

This is the graph of player count, which includes AoS steam, regrettably.
http://aoswiki.rakiru.com/webpages/playercount.html

Player count has been pretty constant with AoS for a long time, with the steam version only periodically surpassing it. But you said it yourself. "When AoS was AoS, there have been at least as many players as now, maybe even more." ~you, earlier in the thread.
The peaks are smaller. In the beginning of 2014, there used to be almost 700 players at peak times. Now it's 300-450, in rare cases over 500. Usually there were around 350-400 players, now it's 100-200. It's not fast, but the player count is sinking. The player count probably didn't change a lot in 0.60, but it was a pretty fucked up version with which the client (and game) problems started.
Captain_Pi wrote:
Go away? rude. I think the problem here is your rudeness. :P
OMG HE SAID "GO AWAY" HOW R00D

But well, if the BnS community wants arena/hallway as the main servers, I guess it should just follow its own desire and die.
ReubenMcHawk
Organizer
Organizer

The majority clearly prefers hallway and pinpoint, quit being a baby and pretending they're not "real players" that argument's never held up in the last few years.
LeCom

ReubenMcHawk wrote:
The majority clearly prefers hallway and pinpoint, quit being a baby and pretending they're not "real players" that argument's never held up in the last few years.
Ok, then have fun with them if you think so.
Vezok
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

LeCom wrote:
ReubenMcHawk wrote:
Os, then have fun with them if you think so.
Seriously dude, just move on. If you don't like what the natural evolution of a game has come to, go play something else.
What happened to the "old playerbase" was that people simply got bored of the game and/or their personal lives got in the way, myself included. Don't blame the hallway/arena servers for this, as it had already come and gone before they even became popular.

Also, who are you to say how a game is to be played right? So long as server rules are followed and people enjoy it, it is perfectly acceptable. Quit thinking that you are so high and mighty and have the ultimate say over how the game should be played.
Captain_Pi
Artist
Artist

Nah, I'm pretty sure the player count has been constant, in the sense that there hasn't been a significant decrease or increase. Simply by computing mean values of each month the average player count was 356 since January, and that number peaked at 409 in January alone.

Which makes me not worry too much about the player count since it rarely drops below 100 and Jagex's game drops to 0 almost most of the time.
Tai
Deuced Up

Captain_Pi wrote:
Nah, I'm pretty sure the player count has been constant, in the sense that there hasn't been a significant decrease or increase. Simply by computing mean values of each month the average player count was 356 since January, and that number peaked at 409 in January alone.

Which makes me not worry too much about the player count since it rarely drops below 100 and Jagex's game drops to 0 almost most of the time.
Are you sure about that?

Dan told me we've seen a slight decrease in traffic. I thought Jagex's game was wildly popular amongst the American equivalent of the Brazilian children we deal with on a daily basis.
EldredChandler
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday

Pi if you want anyone to take you seriously stop including Frozen reaction images to your posts like someone who just found knowyourmeme for the first time.
Captain_Pi
Artist
Artist

Read back at the debacle. Do you think the entire argument would have been taken, how you say, "more seriously" if it included no picture or stuff? I for one think not, and believe that certain methods can be used to spice up any debate, and doesn't necessarily intend to inform that I wasn't taking anything seriously.

"Dan told me we've seen a slight decrease in traffic. I thought Jagex's game was wildly popular amongst the American equivalent of the Brazilian children we deal with on a daily basis."

Slight maybe, but it's still constant in the sense that there hasn't been a significant decrease or increase.

Also, you can't just trivialize the players of AoS, because that's just ignorance. There are "brazilian brats" who play steam aos, and there are americans ( or westerners entirely ) who play classic.
Last edited by Captain_Pi on Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
EldredChandler

Captain_Pi wrote:
Read back at the debacle. Do you think the entire argument would have been taken, how you say, "more seriously" if it included no picture or stuff?
Yes
Tai
Deuced Up

Captain_Pi wrote:
Read back at the debacle. Do you think the entire argument would have been taken, how you say, "more seriously" if it included no picture or stuff?
Yes
ReubenMcHawk
Organizer
Organizer

ITT: people try to blame everything they don't like for the fact that people get bored of a dead game over time
LeCom

ReubenMcHawk wrote:
ITT: people try to blame everything they don't like for the fact that people get bored of a dead game over time
hallway, arena and the lack of diversity make people bored even faster.
But if the community doesn't want a change, it won't be possible to do that. I wonder why this topic is still discussed then.
epicfacethe3rd
Deuced Up

ech0 wrote:
Unfortunately, it might split the community between the voxlap lovers and the openspades lovers.
the solution I always considered was an option for toggling openspades or voxlap.
Tai
Deuced Up

LeCom wrote:
ReubenMcHawk wrote:
hallway, arena and the lack of diversity make people bored even faster.
But if the community doesn't want a change, it won't be possible to do that. I wonder why this topic is still discussed then.
I like playing Hallway. I would have left long ago if my options were Babel, Arena, and ClassicGen.

Stop trying to speak authoritatively on a subject you have no authority on. None of the things you are saying have any basis in fact. Hallway and Arena are popular because people like playing them. People are not going to suddenly love ClassicGen because you ban Hallway servers (which will never happen anyways). As I recall, ClassicGen fell out of vogue long before you were even here, so I'm not too sure what you're complaining about.
ReubenMcHawk
Organizer
Organizer

Reminder that there is no such thing as a "right way" to enjoy a game, and taste in gamemodes and maps are purely subjective.
130 posts Page 8 of 9 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”