WebGL client

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
57 posts Page 4 of 4 First unread post
ByteBit
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday

lonbyte1 have you already given up the project or are you still working on it?
longbyte1
Deuced Up

ByteBit wrote:
lonbyte1 have you already given up the project or are you still working on it?
I haven't given up on it (the code is still there waiting to be worked on, and it's totally feasible) but I just haven't had the time to work on it. I don't make promises because of things like this..

Last time I touched this project was in July. That's a fact I cannot deny. I really wish there were more than 24 hours in a day.. (But then again, we're lucky that there aren't 12 Blue_Tongue)
longbyte1
Deuced Up

I've reached a point in the project's development that I have to come up with a name for it. Maybe WebSpades? Apparently that's the name of a virus. WorldWarWeb? Hmm.. WorldWarSpades?
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

I guess WorldWarSpades could work.
longbyte1
Deuced Up

bloodfox wrote:
I guess WorldWarSpades could work.
Yep, I just asked BR_ and he said yes.
longbyte1
Deuced Up

I've realized that voxel.js might not be the best choice because it is so focused on trying to imitate Minecraft, which I'm not. The scales are off, and the voxel.js engine assumes that every defined block has the same texture, which is totally wrong because a) there's only 1 type of block (a voxel) and b) there's no real texture, only a million colors to choose from.
yvt's prototype ray caster is too slow at high resolutions; I tried fiddling with the Closure compiler, see if I could get anything optimized out of it, but to no avail. If I could use it I would.
BattleofSpades uses its own rendering engine and makes the calls, that's 2000 lines of code, from the basics to the things I actually need to implement.
So, maybe I should make my own voxel renderer?

EDIT: screw it, we're making a voxel engine with Three.js
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

ok
Lincent
Veterans
Veterans

Nice joke.
longbyte1
Deuced Up

Lincent wrote:
Nice joke.
Nice joke.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

longbyte1 wrote:
Lincent wrote:
Nice joke.
Nice joke.
Nice joke.

shitpostttt
longbyte1
Deuced Up

In all seriousness, though, I have been working on the project lately but I cannot check in code yet, especially when it's not complete and I have to fight in a couple of fronts at once (network, game, and engine).
longbyte1
Deuced Up

So I was reading up on this brand new thing from Amazon called Amazon GameLift. Basically it is a way to scale your multiplayer backend, and I thought that maybe it could replace the gateway system. But there is a tiny fine print on it:
Amazon GameLift is designed to support session-based games with game loops that begin and end within a specified time period. ... Amazon GameLift is not designed to support games with persistent worlds that never reset, such as MMOs or sandbox games. Amazon GameLift is also not designed to support asynchronous turn-based multiplayer designs...
So it's just for matchmaking, not for joining arbitrary servers. Better keep an eye on Amazon's Node.js instance manager then.
57 posts Page 4 of 4 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”