How and why I'd like to help us change our direction

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
67 posts Page 2 of 5 First unread post
Dominis
League Participant
League Participant

Ballistic
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

A few ideas adding to AoS experience: ( The majority is probably going to suggest stat changes so why not? )

- Allow different skins for different teams ( Example: The Green team is wearing Spetznas skins and carrying AK-74Ms and the Blue team is wearing Ranger skins and carrying M16A4s. )
- Make servers able to provide skins ( Example: A server is WW2 themed and makes the players wear WW2 gear and carry WW2 guns. )
- Include a built-in Modloader ( Example: It would allow you to change skins and settings in-game. )
- Allow players to check their statistics ( Example: The client saves your stats and allows you to check them by opening up the game and clicking on "Statistics". )
- Create a built-in Leaderboard ( Example: Players could compare stats, encouraging them to play more to advance in the Leaderboards. )

These suggestions only add to the AoS experience without changing any weapon statistics. Of course these are my suggestions and not everybody will agree with them, eventhough they don't have any downsides. (They may be to difficult to implement into the game though, I don't know about that since I don't know anything about coding or scripting.)

What do you guys think of these ideas? Please give feedback, I want to make these suggestions appeal to the community.
Arkger
League Participant
League Participant

Ballistic wrote:
A few ideas adding to AoS experience: ( The majority is probably going to suggest stat changes so why not? )

- Allow different skins for different teams ( Example: The Green team is wearing Spetznas skins and carrying AK-74Ms and the Blue team is wearing Ranger skins and carrying M16A4s. )
- Make servers able to provide skins ( Example: A server is WW2 themed and makes the players wear WW2 gear and carry WW2 guns. )
- Include a built-in Modloader ( Example: It would allow you to change skins and settings in-game. )
- Allow players to check their statistics ( Example: The client saves your stats and allows you to check them by opening up the game and clicking on "Statistics". )
- Create a built-in Leaderboard ( Example: Players could compare stats, encouraging them to play more to advance in the Leaderboards. )
These suggestions only add to the AoS experience without changing any weapon statistics. Of course these are my suggestions and not everybody will agree with them, eventhough they don't have any downsides. (They may be to difficult to implement into the game though, I don't know about that since I don't know anything about coding or scripting.)

What do you guys think of these ideas? Please give feedback, I want to make these suggestions appeal to the community.
Yes, the Modloader should be situated in the Main Menu, to make more use of it.

Another awesome thing to do would be better animations in OS. If you do that and bake the Reflex Sights into the actual client (Lets face it sight1 and sight2 stuff sucks tbh), I'll love you long time.
[DELTA]Jon
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

I agree with all the ideas mentioned above. Make it so everyone is happy with the game and there's a little bit for everyone. Now in terms of making sure we get more players into this game. In the modern gaming industry sometimes tried and tested formula barfed out slightly differently year after year like with COD is what works better than supposed innovation. If you want more players into this game, we might as well make it a bit more fast paced and slightly modern. There is literally no room in the industry for slow paced, voxel based shooters. We fixed the voxel based issue with better graphics and now we could make the gameplay more fast paced. We can still have old servers using the old formula of aos but that might not cut it these days as change happens. We are barely surviving so any additional newcomers into this game would be great. I would say make weapons as balanced with each other as possible. So one weapon would excel at one thing against the other but lack something that the other weapon has. There won't be no such thing as rifle beats all, but rifle beats all in some occasions but sucks in others. Such as making it extremely hard to get kills in close range no scope with a rifle as it is really not designed for that sort of thing. It excels at long range, is decent at medium range, and just sucks at short range. No scoping with a rifle can also be made harder as if you wanted to no scope you could switch for the shotty and/or the smg. I strongly support the idea of a pistol as that would fill in that void which people sometimes feel when playing.
Defaulter
Organizer
Organizer

Good luck.

Your quite right topo, I can't see it happening, but anything's possible, it's at least worth a try.
Chase_UC
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

izzy wrote:
More accurate consistency between the mechanics of OpenSpades and Voxlap AoS, such as:
  • Grenade projectile
  • Weapon spread
  • Weapon recoil
  • Sneak/walk/run/jump movement
^^^^^

Also secondary firearm, like a pistol, Wanted one for ages.

I also believe that OS should be optimized performance-wise to run a little bit better, It's not like everybody here has great PC's that can run it, so maybe optimize the software renderer to the point that it's (almost) the same as the current performance of the Voxlap client?

The lower the system requirements, the better it us for new players.

And one more thing - how many people are working on OS? Is it only yvt? Because the way I see it, the development process is really slow. If we could get several experienced coders to set up a team with yvt then the development process would be much faster than it is now.

Someone please correct if I'm wrong on the last statement, since, AFAIK, only yvt works on OS.
crazymonky
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Arkger wrote:

My name is Arkger. I want to make a server. With this new game, I'll make a WWII server. My players will be in USA or GERMANY attire. They will all carry weapon skins issued to them (M14, Thompson, etc.). They will be able to pick what they carry in their kit, and the more they have the slower they are. If they choose to take only a M14 and 1 or 2 grenades, they will be faster than the guy with a Thompson, a couple medkits (WHICH REQUIRE YOU TO ACTUALLY STAND NEAR SOMEONE AND PATCH THEM UP OVER A PERIOD OF TIME[Looking at BF4]), and a pistol. I want it so it's a super sized map of Normandy, and for it to be 64 players. I want it to be a custom gamemode, where americans push up, and Germans to fall back and try to keep the Americans at bay. If the americans cannot push up all the way in a time amount alloted, or they lose al of their lives, the Germans win. I want it so after this, when the map rotates, It changes to a random European front, where it's ToW, etc. I want there to be basic transport, and MGs, most of the things they have in WWII. Semi-Simulation at it's best, basically.
YES, YES, YES, YES!
1Shot1Kill
Modder
Modder

I like all of these suggestions made so far, I hope they get added!
wheelz
Deuce

topo wrote:
I'm not trying to split anything; if you'd actually read my post you'd know that I want a community effort.
This is my impression now: There is already a small team developing OpenSpades that is also listening to community input. Now you come and say, "Hey, lets create a new team and make a different OpenSpades!". The result would be: 2 different OpenSpades clients, the original one and your forked one, incompatible to each other, as they have different features. The playerbase of OpenSpades would have to decide: Which version to play? The limited resources on developers in this community would not work together but instead on their own thing, making each version progress only slower. It would be a splitted developing team and a splitted playerbase.
As i said, this is what come in my mind reading your post. I might have understood you wrong. But if not, then i wonder: Why actually do that? Isn't it more effective to support only one developing team, unifiying all the ideas and community input?
danhezee wrote:
Why sit back and wait when you can help advance the community?
because imo having one team working together on one vision of OpenSpades will advance the community more than splitting this game into several forkes resulting in several playerbases (happened already with the steam version).
Chase_UC wrote:
And one more thing - how many people are working on OS? Is it only yvt? Because the way I see it, the development process is really slow. If we could get several experienced coders to set up a team with yvt then the development process would be much faster than it is now.
my thoughts exactly.
Zekamalikyd
Modder
Modder

don't think it's going to split anyone.
we can still play both 'games'.
we don't have to make any choices.
unless we have to choose which one to let die.
Nikhao
League Champs
League Champs

kmaj wrote:
Replaces SMGs with HMGs and make them limited to 1/2 per team.
Make this happen.
Articsledder
Deuced Up

64 players support would be pretty sweet, as well as generally polishing what the original Ace of Spades had placed down. Beyond that I would like to see a condensed gamemode using both ToW tents as objectives and intel briefcases to show enemy players, mortars and HMG's would be pretty cool too.
Stuart98
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

I have but one request.

Prevent hosting of servers that run Hallway. For the love of humanity.
Ballistic
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Stuart98 wrote:
I have but one request.

we already had discussions about stuff like this
Major Darkstar
Deuced Up

Stuart98 wrote:
I have but one request.

if only
67 posts Page 2 of 5 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”