How and why I'd like to help us change our direction

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
67 posts Page 4 of 5 First unread post
Eimis
League Champs
League Champs

Here are some ideas:
Make it so that the game would depend on the server: the movement speed, weapon choice, stats etc. could be changed by the server owner. This way AoS could become a lot more various than it is now.
If possible, make demos possible (you should understand what I mean :D). Would make recording a lot easier and a lot more flexible.
Add a developer console so you can change advanced settings without having to close the window.
By the way, maybe you can use some code from iceball to save you some time?
Willy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I'd love to see mortars as an option, won via killstreak and then useable similar to the way Modloader let you used airstrikes, click an area of the map and raining death is on it's way.
Kiwi
League Participant
League Participant

My ideas

Weapons
More weapons in generall,like LMGs,HMGs,machine pistols,revolvers,shotguns,Sniper rifles,throwable knifes or knifes to knife a person in generall

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Vehicles
Tanks where you can sit and shoot in,helicotpers to transport your teammates,boats,cars

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Graphical looking
A person should be able to change the resulution,shading effects etc. in the menu

Misc
Should still be moddable(if modding wouldn't be possible this will just turn out in a blocky battlefield)
Kill cams
A built in 3rd person spectating tool where you can switch to normal spectating
A mapping tool which can be downloaded somewhere
Bigger maps
Bigger teamsize(more than 64)

ok that's all
Also I am sure topo that I can help you with some stuff like making all(or some) weapons if this is actually going to happen.
Also able to make gfx stuff but I am sure others can make it better.

PS: it shouldn't be a blocky CoD/BF ok

Good luck
danhezee
Former Admin / Co-founder
Former Admin / Co-founder

Proper flying if you given fly with /fly you fly around and hold your altitude like you are in spectate. Also, proper votekick but that can fixed in pyspades.
ThisFrickinSite
Deuced Up

CaptainKiwi wrote:
Tanks where you can sit and shoot in,helicotpers to transport your teammates,boats,cars
Tanks sound nice on paper, but making any kind of land vehicles work correctly/not terribly on voxel terrain would be pretty tricky.
Priok
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

this is very long, but I've wanted to contribute some of my ideas for a while. feel free to post if you disagree with them, they are only ideas that I think would make this game more interesting and better.

What should be added? introduce more advanced weapon mechanics, re-balance weapons, increase maximum map size + player limit, add some more equipment/tools

How should it be changed?
-more advanced weapon mechanics:
1. Hip-fire spread. I know tons of people probably would hate this, but I think it's a good way to keep things like the rifle's 1 hs kill capability while still allowing the shotgun to be good in close range too. if the rifle can just pop somebody in the head instantly without even needing to aim, and perform extremely well at med-long range then there is not much point in using the shotgun, aside from not requiring that much accuracy in close range. but I don't think it's hard to headshot with the rifle in close range, especially since the player's head is huge. Adding hip-fire spread basically would help allow more room for the guns to be unique. I'm not really sure how this would be measured, but I am thinking it'd be the same as ADS spread.
2. Aiming(ADS) speed. Related to the previous idea, because even if the spread on the rifle is inaccurate for close range, couldn't the player just ADS and get high accuracy? that's why it's important to make it so certain weapons aim at different speeds, so the hip-fire spread idea can actually work with restricting some weapon's power. It doesn't have to be that long, but right now it feels pretty much instant. Another thing is that it'd make the game feel more completed in my opinion, and the ADS feature would feel less like it was tacked on.
3. Movement speed. Not that important, but it'd be a good idea to add this if something like a light machine gun or grenade launcher is ever added. Weapons meant for rushing and CQC(shotgun) could also have a higher movement speed than weapons meant for staying back, adding another bonus to the CQC weapons if they still need an extra advantage.
4. Damage drop-off. I think 0.76 has this, but I haven't played it enough to tell really. I think it's just another way to make the weapons more unique, so shotgun/smg sniping isn't so easy and the semi works well in its range. I don't think the semi dropping down to a 2 HS kill is necessary, especially if maps ever get larger + fog line is extended. The drop-off could either be instant(50 damage instantly dropping to 35) or it could have a slope, where damage gradually lowers from one point to another(50 damage starts dropping at 10 blocks, damage slowly scales down to 35 damage at 20 blocks). Having a slope would probably be better, but there could also be increments of damage drop-off with the instant idea.

Rebalancing the weapons: (only basic ideas, but I figure it's better than just saying "SMG is too strong and shotgun is too weak" or whatever)
rifle-
mag size: 10(no real need to change it)
shot time(rate of fire): 0.5
reload time: 2.5s
Y recoil: -0.06
X recoil: 0.0001
ADS Spread: 0.004 (slightly higher than early versions, but lower than 0.75)
Hipfire Spread: 0.025(really do not know how major this would be)
ADS speed: 0.40s
Damage: 100/50/34(close range)-100/45/30(long range)
Block damage(assuming 100 health): 50, drops to 35
Range: dropoff starts after around 30 blocks

SMG-
mag size: 20
shot time: 0.11
reload time: 2.7s
Y recoil: -0.0135
X recoil: 0.00005
ADS Spread: 0.013
Hipfire Spread: 0.020
ADS speed: 0.2s
Damage: 55/30/19(close) - 35/20/16(long)
Block damage: 25, drops to 17
Range: dropoff starts after around 20 blocks

Shotgun-
mag size: 6
shot time: 0.90
Reload time: 0.5s per shell
Y recoil: -0.11
X recoil: 0.0003
ADS Spread: 0.20
Hipfire Spread: 0.23
ADS speed: 0.25s
Damage(per pellet): 60/40/17(close) 30/20/14
Block damage: 40, drops to 20
Range: dropoff starts after about 25 blocks
Pellets: 8

Larger maps: not really sure on the size, but maybe 25-50% larger than current limit would be good. 48-64 players maximum would also probably be good, but this depends a lot on the map sizes.

New weapons/tools:
-LMG: (quick stat ideas below)
mag size: 50
shot time: 0.15
reload time: 4.7s
Y recoil: -0.08
X recoil: 0.00007
ADS Spread: 0.011
Hipfire Spread: 0.035
ADS speed: 0.5s
Damage: 80/65/40(close) - 60/35/20(long)
Block damage: 40, drops to 25
Range: dropoff starts after around 30 blocks

the ideas below could taken up the grenade slot. So if you wanted to use a handgun, you wouldn't get any grenades.

-Handgun
mag size: 7
shot time: 0.35
reload time: 1.7s
Y recoil: -0.04
X recoil: 0.00004
ADS Spread: 0.06
Hipfire Spread: 0.08
ADS speed: 0.15s
Damage: 55/45/25(close) - 30/19/15(long)
Block damage: 35, drops to 15
Range: dropoff starts after around 12 blocks

Satchel charge- maybe power of 2 grenades +20% larger blast radius, more effective against blocks

Barbed wire- slows movement down by ~40%, every block that is traveled causes minor damage(maybe 2-4 damage, so you don't fall in barbed wire and die.)

Wire cutters - removes barbed wire(could just be the spade's use too, but it might be interesting to have this instead)

Smoke grenade - covers area in smoke for ~30 seconds, +35% larger radius than regular grenade

Spade - leave as it is

Reinforced blocks - might be an interesting idea, where the blocks halve damage taken. basically would just be stronger blocks to encourage building.

Why would this benefit the game?
As far as the re-balance goes, it'd add weapon variety to what people actually use if they were all viable against each other. I think the problem with the balance right now is that the rifle and SMG are a bit too versatile, and don't really have any major downsides, while the shotgun's only real upside is that it's good in close range, which doesn't make up most of the combat in AoS. Adding more advanced weapon mechanics would also help make each gun more unique by introducing different characteristics that could be different for each weapon. If everything suddenly had a different movement speed, there could already be a significant difference in how each weapon performs.

Larger map sizes + more players would be cool, because it'd allow more game modes and map styles to play well in the game. It's cool to have things like arena, normal sized maps, and then maps even larger for when you want to do some control point/conquest game modes.

The gadgets/new weapons just seem to fit well with what I imaged AoS to be like when it first was released a few years ago. The LMG would fit pretty as a support weapon, . I think the smoke grenades + barbed wire would also add some interesting ways to capture points/the intel on larger maps, and reinforced blocks would encourage building cover

thanks for taking a look at this post, sorry that it's so long
Nikhao
League Champs
League Champs

If you take away the ability to not have to aim down with the rifle and kill across the map I will kill you. That's one of the things that makes this game so much fun.

Also, that doesn't seem like it'd fit the 'feel' of AoS. If every you mentioned was implemented it'd basically be a completely different game.
Captain_Pi
Artist
Artist

Less hacks pls
Priok
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

Nikhao wrote:
Also, that doesn't seem like it'd fit the 'feel' of AoS. If every you mentioned was implemented it'd basically be a completely different game.
which things do you think would disrupt the feel too much ? I don't think any of them would really change it that much, and I don't think the game changing is a problem, so long as the basic idea is still there.

one of the reasons why this game is so boring for me now is that it doesn't feel finished, so I do not think its current state is really that good, but that is maybe only my opinion
Lincent
Veterans
Veterans

I think we should have ace of spades with balancing tweaks and a menu.
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

Lincent wrote:
I think we should have ace of spades with balancing tweaks and a menu.
OpenSpades?
Lincent
Veterans
Veterans

Jdrew wrote:

OpenSpades?
I didn't say graphical tweaks.
ReubenMcHawk
Organizer
Organizer

Lincent wrote:
Jdrew wrote:

OpenSpades?
I didn't say graphical tweaks.
It's already OpenSpades though...
Spidercooce
Deuced Up

What do you think needs to be changed about Ace of Spades?
All I want is on point rifle accuracy

Edit:Vehicles like helicopters and jeeps to transport players around the map faster
and you can shoot the driver/pilot

How should it be changed?
They fixed it in .76 but nobody plays on that so....
Edit:I don't fucking know

Why would this benefit the game?
It would make more people want to use the rifle instead of complaining that it's bugged
Edit:All those big maps would be so much better to navigate
Last edited by Spidercooce on Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gingerninjaperson
League Participant
League Participant

I think to start out, just some of the minor gun tweaks and such would be good, along with menus. After it is released, things like satchel charges and stationary machine guns could possibly be added. Also,
Make it so that the game would depend on the server: the movement speed, weapon choice, stats etc. could be changed by the server owner. This way AoS could become a lot more various than it is now.
If possible, make demos possible (you should understand what I mean :D). Would make recording a lot easier and a lot more flexible.
Add a developer console so you can change advanced settings without having to close the window.
By the way, maybe you can use some code from iceball to save you some time?
Another idea I had for league, is make it so you can manually place the intel and tent. That way, we could have standardized intel positions for each map and not have to worry about unfair intel positions and resetting the intel a million times.
67 posts Page 4 of 5 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”