I know it's a popular map, but this is ridiculous.

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
53 posts Page 3 of 4 First unread post
Spidercooce
Deuced Up

Why not just populate a server like the 24/7 earth map or something like that
valkyriiking
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Well, may I suggest more community event using these maps. If we can get more of the community to play these awesome other maps and game modes. Some people has either barely touched the other game modes or don't think much about it, so we just need to find a way to shed some light to them. I know the community isn't at its finest point right now but hey why the hell not get more people to play. Also, I see a lot of people playing and they don't really think much of being in the bns community, maybe we should do something about that. All just suggestions.
Arkger
League Participant
League Participant

Sponge wrote:
There are so many original and great maps on the forums, yet the popular maps consist of a thin hallway and a map made entirely of two triangles.
Ohh|, the amount of times someone has suggested that.
It comes down to how much people REALLY want to play Hallway. I don't think it's worth filling the top ~10 spaces and in my opinion we should go slap all of those server owners and tell them to go add something else than that overrated map, but hey, supply and demand right?
Gingerninjaperson
League Participant
League Participant

Arkger wrote:
Sponge wrote:
There are so many original and great maps on the forums, yet the popular maps consist of a thin hallway and a map made entirely of two triangles.
Ohh|, the amount of times someone has suggested that.
It comes down to how much people REALLY want to play Hallway. I don't think it's worth filling the top ~10 spaces and in my opinion we should go slap all of those server owners and tell them to go add something else than that overrated map, but hey, supply and demand right?
Pretty much this. Since people like playing Hallway and Pinpoint, those are the maps that are being put up on servers. Most of these people probably don't go on the forums, and are more casual players, but they still get to play what they want. Organizing a community event with a map like Classicgen or any other map would be a way for the community to know about the other amazing maps AOS has to offer and possibly have server owners switch maps.
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

The community already knows about the maps as the ysee all the events. Its the in game players that have all the power. We are a minority when it comes to the overall player base. Even if we can get a few servers running maps from the forums up on top for a few days players would still go back to hallway.

I still think we should manually feature servers in the HTML above the serverlist or create another master server for featured servers and put that master server's json above the main one.
JustSmall
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet but maybe the serverlist could be expanded slightly by adding "heat":
Each map has a certain "heat" . Depending on how long and how high a map is the "heat" may go down or up. The heat could also be multiplied by the amount of players (numbers or percentage of max. amount of players).
The higher the "heat", the higher the server ranks and vice versa.
If something like this is successfully implemented, server owners may try to diversify their maps rotation.
This is just a quick idea and there are things which would have to be worked out still (is hallwaywinter also just a hallway map or should it receive its own "heat"?, etc.)

But in the end I'm not sure if this would help. People are going to play what they want to play and like someone else already said: This is just "supply and demand".
shrub74
Deuce

I still think we should manually feature servers in the HTML above the serverlist or create another master server for featured servers and put that master server's json above the main one.
Actually, having a slot at the top of the serverlist that features a random server for a half-hour would probably give a nice bit of life to them. I'm pretty sure most new players just click the top server anyway.
Each map has a certain "heat"
Sounds much like Reddit's 'Hot' algorithm, no?
Spidercooce
Deuced Up

JustSmall wrote:
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet but maybe the serverlist could be expanded slightly by adding "heat":
Each map has a certain "heat" . Depending on how long and how high a map is the "heat" may go down or up. The heat could also be multiplied by the amount of players (numbers or percentage of max. amount of players).
The higher the "heat", the higher the server ranks and vice versa.
If something like this is successfully implemented, server owners may try to diversify their maps rotation.
This is just a quick idea and there are things which would have to be worked out still (is hallwaywinter also just a hallway map or should it receive its own "heat"?, etc.)

But in the end I'm not sure if this would help. People are going to play what they want to play and like someone else already said: This is just "supply and demand".
That's a pretty genious idea.I have to say
izzy
Head Admin / Co-founder
Head Admin / Co-founder

Here's another screen shot taken a little while ago for comparison:

In this screen shot, servers are sorted by player count and only those with more than 10 players are included. As you can see, 3 out of these 15 servers are hosting hallway, the other 12 servers aren't hosting hallway.
TheGrandmaster wrote:
RE: classicgen.
I think the gen maps worked perfectly with older versions of the game, it suited the gameplay well. But the game strayed away from its roots as time went on, and it changed entirely - the end result? reaction-based FPS gameplay, which caused the "popular" maps to be those which funnel the game into that kind of experience - the pinpoint/hallway/assault kind of maps. This is just my opinion, but with the current pace of the game being so much higher, and the expectations of it to be that much more action-oriented, classicgen has much less of a home in Ace of Spades right now compared to back then.. as much as that saddens me.
Yes, and auto climb was one of the biggest, if not the biggest, causes of that change.
Jdrew wrote:
Manipulating the server list like that would take power away from players and push us towards an environment controlled by a select few. Is that really what you want, someone else deciding what you should play and when you should play it? Right now players have have equal freedom to contribute and promote whatever they want and the result is a natural representation of what's liked or "just works" for the population. Take Danko's Zombie Survival for example; he created something different that's intriguing, fun, and lasting, which resulted in a constantly populated server even before it had any kind of outside recognition.

Just because something is good for you doesn't mean it's good for someone else. Players are perfectly capable of experiencing what actually exists and deciding what's worthy for themselves, the last thing they/we need is some God funneling us through his imagined dream that doesn't reflect into reality. There are a lot of consequences that would come along with forcefully manipulating power away from players that wouldn't be fully realized until it's too late.

Players having so much power is a wonderful thing that won't be truly appreciated until it's gone -- AoS has been that way since day one and it's a big part of what sets this game apart from so many others.
shrub74 wrote:
Actually, having a slot at the top of the serverlist that features a random server for a half-hour would probably give a nice bit of life to them. I'm pretty sure most new players just click the top server anyway.
Imagine the negative experience those players would have if they joined a featured server that was broken, malicious, unattended, boring, etc. What would that say about the overall quality of this game if something so bad was being officially recognized? Furthermore, those who put out quality stuff would have less chance of being discovered by players who got distracted by the featured "junk."

Instead of expressing thoughts about how to "fix" external factors that simply aren't broken, we as players should be putting into action what we like and/or think is best for the in-game experience. Anything backed by enough planning and effort that players find truly interesting will catch on one way or another regardless of external factors.

All the tools are there. Make your dreams a reality and let the power of players turn it into a phenomenon that catches all of us by surprise. Please!
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

Spoiler:
izzy wrote:
Jdrew wrote:
Manipulating the server list like that would take power away from players and push us towards an environment controlled by a select few. Is that really what you want, someone else deciding what you should play and when you should play it? Right now players have have equal freedom to contribute and promote whatever they want and the result is a natural representation of what's liked or "just works" for the population. Take Danko's Zombie Survival for example; he created something different that's intriguing, fun, and lasting, which resulted in a constantly populated server even before it had any kind of outside recognition.

Just because something is good for you doesn't mean it's good for someone else. Players are perfectly capable of experiencing what actually exists and deciding what's worthy for themselves, the last thing they/we need is some God funneling us through his imagined dream that doesn't reflect into reality. There are a lot of consequences that would come along with forcefully manipulating power away from players that wouldn't be fully realized until it's too late.

Players having so much power is a wonderful thing that won't be truly appreciated until it's gone -- AoS has been that way since day one and it's a big part of what sets this game apart from so many others.
shrub74 wrote:
Imagine the negative experience those players would have if they joined a featured server that was broken, malicious, unattended, boring, etc. What would that say about the overall quality of this game if something so bad was being officially recognized? Furthermore, those who put out quality stuff would have less chance of being discovered by players who got distracted by the featured "junk."

Instead of expressing thoughts about how to "fix" external factors that simply aren't broken, we as players should be putting into action what we like and/or think is best for the in-game experience. Anything backed by enough planning and effort that players find truly interesting will catch on one way or another regardless of external factors.
The servers that would be featured would be chosen by the community through a poll. The featured servers would NOT effect the main server list as it would be different from it. The only way it would be effected is because the servers that are featured would be higher up due to a higher population. No power would be token away from server hosters or other players as they would be part of the group choosing which servers would be featured. The whole idea of featuring or rating servers is to get less known servers more players. Since none of these would be offical new players would really not have to worry about it; just say that the featured/rated servers were chose by the players and are no way affiliated with BnS.

You make it sound like the idea is taking power away from players when it is instead doing the opposite. As for players having the natural ability to chose what is in is not something I think is really correct. Players play on popular servers because the servers are popular. Popular servers are in a loop: since there are players on it more people join, when those leave more will join since it is on the top. You can say players create the loop but with no way to fully stop or halt the loop unless the server goes down how are they choosing what is popular?

If not having a featured server list then try rating servers. Have it be a toggle-able filter. In order to rate you would have to log in though and you can only rate once. Since it is a filter players can chose if they want to use it or not, would be able to have the power to decide what should be towards the top, and it gives servers something to brag about.
shrub74
Deuce

You've opened my mind a bit, izzy. You're right.

Instead of trying to augment the system to do what we want, why not work within the system? Players generally populate servers with a decent levels of players in them, and tend to avoid empty servers.
Lincent
Veterans
Veterans

Hallway is just so brilliantly designed, did you know the all great and powerful, and most respected next to ben ( izzy )
designed it?
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

Izzy made island,pin-point, and hallway lincent. Did you know that?
Pedroh
Post Demon
Post Demon

Hail izzy
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

Well, now you know that if you want to make a popular server, do hallway D:
53 posts Page 3 of 4 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”