I know it's a popular map, but this is ridiculous.

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
53 posts Page 2 of 4 First unread post
ReubenMcHawk
Organizer
Organizer

bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

Jdrew wrote:
If those were popular would it be any different though?
True dat.
Sponge
Deuced Up

ReubenMcHawk wrote:
I think we can do with a few less servers than 11 with all the same thing.
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

servers will host what they want, we can't control people

What we could do is highlight servers with the maps we like above the server-list so that they will hopefully have more players then the hallway maps.
Vezok
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Sponge wrote:
ReubenMcHawk wrote:
Then go make one yourself.
Spidercooce
Deuced Up

You wrote:
Agreed. What happened to bridge wars, isle of war, nuketown 24/7?
Not so sure about the others,but bridge wars is one I really want to see on servers
Plus all those cool new maps I see in the newsletters would be nice
TheGrandmaster
Former Pre-BnS Team
Former Pre-BnS Team

RE: classicgen.
I think the gen maps worked perfectly with older versions of the game, it suited the gameplay well. But the game strayed away from its roots as time went on, and it changed entirely - the end result? reaction-based FPS gameplay, which caused the "popular" maps to be those which funnel the game into that kind of experience - the pinpoint/hallway/assault kind of maps. This is just my opinion, but with the current pace of the game being so much higher, and the expectations of it to be that much more action-oriented, classicgen has much less of a home in Ace of Spades right now compared to back then.. as much as that saddens me.

RE: flat maps.
They have their place, they are useful for training and practising twitch aim etc, but I agree it's sad that so many servers dedicate themselves to what is only a part of Ace of Spades' gameplay, leaving some good maps being untouched and giving many players a limited range of maps to choose from.

I just want 0.35 back.
IceCream
Hoster
Hoster

Agreed. 0.35 is the best version. revive #aos.classic o k.
ReubenMcHawk
Organizer
Organizer

Sponge wrote:
ReubenMcHawk wrote:
Then start one. If there's ten Hallway servers with a bunch of people on it, that means it's popular and in demand. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
Captain_Pi
Artist
Artist

ReubenMcHawk wrote:
Sponge wrote:
ReubenMcHawk wrote:
Then start one. If there's ten Hallway servers with a bunch of people on it, that means it's popular and in demand. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
This makes sense. There's a reason popular things are popular. For one thing, people like someone or something, and for another, it's fun and enjoyable. Make an argument that counteracts the argument 'If people play on a map all the time, that must mean the map is fun, right?', then maybe we have ourselves something to talk about.

For hallway however, I'll never understand its appeal. I'll always find larger scale maps with hills and towns and prefabs more fun to play on.
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

hallway is very large just not many features
ReubenMcHawk
Organizer
Organizer

Back in the day Hallway and Pinpoint were the maps people mostly built on, the lack of prefabs inspired people to make their own bases. Now it's usually just 2-high walls.
Juxta
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ReubenMcHawk wrote:
Back in the day Hallway and Pinpoint were the maps people mostly built on, the lack of prefabs inspired people to make their own bases. Now it's usually just 3-high walls.
ftfy.

Anyway the hallway/pin point popularity thing has become it's own paradox. They gained popularity and now because people still play there it draws in a crowd, because who wants to play on an empty server? You join what is most populated. I agree more diversity would be great but trying to stem the flow of people who exclusively play hallway or joining because it's populated would be like trying to stop sand from slipping through your fingers.
Teeth
League Participant
League Participant

Juxta wrote:
...trying to stem the flow of people who exclusively play hallway or joining because it's populated would be like trying to stop sand from slipping through your fingers.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
shaz

This cancer must die.
53 posts Page 2 of 4 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”