Why does everybody hate smg users?

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
75 posts Page 1 of 5 First unread post
Bbig Boss
Deuced Up

I play very much on ace of spades, and there is something that really grind my gears: the people who start to insult to ALL Who uses the SMG.

What is wrong with them?

Why they dont use the SMG if they think that it is OP?

Are they idiots?
strawhatpirate
Modder
Modder

It shows that you have a lack of skill. Since the rifle is harder to use at close and mid range, while the smg requires no skill at those ranges and requires some skill at long range. The rifle is also hard to use at range, but it only requires you to point it at heads, while the smg requires recoil management. Still all in all the smg is used by most people with little to no skill. It's just a noob gun.
MR.BadAiming
Deuced Up

strawhatpirate wrote:
It shows that you have a lack of skill. Since the rifle is harder to use at close and mid range, while the smg requires no skill at those ranges and requires some skill at long range. The rifle is also hard to use at range, but it only requires you to point it at heads, while the smg requires recoil management. Still all in all the smg is used by most people with little to no skill. It's just a noob gun.
agreed
ReubenMcHawk
Organizer
Organizer

Bandwagoning, mostly. I'd imagine a lot of the anti-SMG users are just repeating what they hear, because the SMG isn't really all that bad.
1Shot1Kill
Modder
Modder

strawhatpirate wrote:
Yeah this, I can get much more kills with a SMG easier than a Rifle or Shotgun. The SMG has almost no recoil, especially if you play OpenSpades, so recoil management is not much of an issue.
Captain_Pi
Artist
Artist

"EdgyPlayer: Omg smgay noob shit i'm gunna use rifel 2 show these mofos im bettr at teh game!"

This argument has been going on for days on end, countless topics were made concerning how unbalanced or limited the game is, and people like strawhatpirate here who keep advocating that using the SMG immediately signals that you're skill-less in first-person shooting.

Firstly, guns with a high rate of fire like sub-machine guns and some medium-ranged assault rifles were made SPECIFICALLY TO BE QUICK TO LEARN AND EASY TO USE, the high DPS,reload speed and the poor reliance to aiming is proof enough. I'm not saying this as a generalization because some people still take their time to learn how to aim and burst-fire, but I say if from experience with real guns myself. SMGs sacrifice accuracy and overall firepower in favor of high rate of fire and capacity, and because of that lack of aiming and directing the muzzle, it's only a matter of shooting at something until it's dead.

In the case of an FPS like OpenSpades, it's very much the same deal. I agree that the recoiling somehow makes the SMG more accurate that it should be, but it still lacks the 'one shot one kill' advantage of a rifle, which I believe keeps the balance in both weapons. An opponent who's good with a rifle can easily keep up with a player who's good with an SMG.

Secondly, using an SMG does not entail the 'lack of skill'. It just so happens that, again, SMGs were designed to be easy to use, in comparison to the rifle and its variants (i.e; sniper rifles, which require a great deal of skill when it comes to accuracy). It just so happens that SMGs exist in the game, and many noobs opt to use that instead. Sure, it would be easier to determine the skill of a player if all players used the rifle, but that's very unlikely.

With the SMG however, you'll have rampaging mofos every which way, but could you say that because they use an SMG and not a rifle, they aren't as capable in contributing towards victory?

Cooking from a stove is a whole lot easier than making the fire from wood and twig, but could you say a person who can cook on a self-made fire is more skillful that someone who wishes to cook on the stove? You'll have to taste the food first.

Think about that.
MKU
Artist
Artist

ReubenMcHawk wrote:
Bandwagoning, mostly. I'd imagine a lot of the anti-SMG users are just repeating what they hear, because the SMG isn't really all that bad.
This.

.75 and .76 SMGs are fine. The .75 SMG's spread is a little off but still usable.

Most of these people never played version .54 or .58, so they have no idea what a terrible SMG looks like.
strawhatpirate
Modder
Modder

I will still claim that the smg is the favored weapon of the newbs, and it is, 99% of the time it's a sign of a unskilled player, not someone who has learned how to use it properly (i.e. colorpinpoint). You can use it all you want, but I will still consider you a noob.
Priok
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

the rifle + smg are both really easy to use compared to the shotgun, I do not think the SMG is more of a noob gun really. I guess it's a bit more forgiving than the rifle, because of its RPM, but the rifle is already very easy

the weapon selection in this game is pretty weird already though. the SMG and rifle are both pretty good all-purpose weapons and the shotgun is only good at close range. it'd be a lot easier to balance it out I think if the player's head wasn't huge, because now it is not hard at all to headshot with the rifle at close range. the shotgun's only niche is that it is a bit more forgiving at close range

but yeah, most of the hate for the SMG is just because it's something cool to follow or whatever. people also tend to get upset at over-used weapons in video games, even if it's not really overpowered. I don't really know if the SMG is over-used in AoS, I think I see the rifle more
Bbig Boss
Deuced Up

What I mean is:

If you think that a weapon is better than other (Because it is easier to handle, because it has a better rate of fire or whatever), why dont you use it?

If you think that you are a better player because you use the worst weapons, why dont you play BF or COD with a pistol? Because you think that that weapon sucks. And if I think that SMG is better than sniper or shotgun, I will use it, I dont give a shit if you call me newb or noob or you say that my mum suck dicks because I use a weapon.
ReubenMcHawk
Organizer
Organizer

Blame the player, not the gun. I'm somewhat decent at both SMG and rifle, they both require different skills.
Vezok
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

I'd much rather say that the rifle is underpowered rather than the smg overpowered (in 0.75). The rifle should have its pinpoint accuracy back, although maybe a smaller clip (I've always reloaded after the first shot anyways) and a decrease to body damage.
danhezee
Former Admin / Co-founder
Former Admin / Co-founder

I said this before, I would have preferred to replace hitscans to simulate bullets with actual projectiles effected by gravity for all bullets.
Spidercooce
Deuced Up

Bbig Boss wrote:
What is wrong with them?

Why they dont use the SMG if they think that it is OP?

Are they idiots?
areyoufuckingserious?
MKU
Artist
Artist

danhezee wrote:
I said this before, I would have preferred to replace hitscans to simulate bullets with actual projectiles effected by gravity for all bullets.
Go play Battlefield, loser.
75 posts Page 1 of 5 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”