Conspiring to make classicgen popular

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
23 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Honno
Deuce

Obviously I'm quite late in the nostalgic-ranting-about-classicgen-never-being-played game, but I have an idea. That is: someone host a classicgen ctf server without the usual idle kick script, and us whiners can afk on it. The thinking is that by simply increasing the numbers of a server, more people will be bound to go on it.

Most will notice that it's all a lie, however I think if someone speaks on chat then at least the OpenSpades client will make a noise by default, and we'll all be alerted which could interest anyone not-afk to play a match. Some of us could just check the client every so often. The newbies may not even realize Blue_Happy3

Anyone up for hosting a server like this? Whatcha guys think about this idea- is it: evil, flawed, etc.?

And, who'll be up for it? Like, just going on the server whenever you can, being afk, not playing games, and so on.

Thanks for your time. Sorry in advanced if this kind of behaviour is discouraged.
Last edited by Honno on Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrHaaax
Modder
Modder

But Voxlap don't make any sound when a player connects/disconnects.
WHAT DO?
I'm sure classicgen is depopulated for a reason: people don't like it-except for most of the forum-goers- that's all. But your idea may worth a shot though.
shaz

I can put classicgen on right now, but most people tend to leave after 5 minutes.
Honno
Deuce

Yeah, probably wanna scope out who's interested in doing this before anything.
Jedelas
Veterans
Veterans

I'm interested! To be honest, the brief time I played on classicgen before I became engrossed on custom maps was quite fun. Either that or because I was just new back then.
Honno
Deuce

Welcome to the conspiracy >:D
Lincent
Veterans
Veterans

Rename classicgen into hallway or other maps.
Honno
Deuce

I'd encourage anyone who actually reads this and are interested to advertise this idea to their fellow player friends. I really wanna see something happen to make classicgen popular and I hope what's spoken about here can work, but it needs players :)
Lincent wrote:
Rename classicgen into hallway or other maps.
Genius.
Tai
Deuced Up

Honno wrote:
That is: someone host a classicgen ctf server without the usual idle kick script, and us whiners can afk on it. The thinking is that by simply increasing the numbers of a server, more people will be bound to go on it.
This is actually something that they used to do on some of the more frequented servers (Minit, GoonHaven) where they would only ban you if you were hacking, and even if you were a griefer you'd only get your building disabled. The thinking being that the busier the server, and the harder it is to get into the server, the more likely you are to *stay* in the server and actually play there. It actually was one of the many things that made Goon the perfect server; compressing it into a smaller map made the action much more intense and encouraged team work.

Anyways, it might work, it might not, but all I can say is that if you don't kick AFKs; LOWER THE VOTEKICK LIMIT

I can't tell you how many servers I've played with no AFK control and it just fills up with people who leave their player on, so you can't even votekick someone until the map resets and their player is kicked. Don't fall into that trap, whatever you do. If you check out the poll I have on this forum, classic gen seems to be in higher demand than other maps, so maybe it's time. I'd like to know if you do set one up actually, because setting two up would just be a waste of a server.
MindTheGap
Deuce

I've register just to tell you that my friends and I love classic gen and we are all struggling to find servers to play on that have decent maps or game modes. We really don't get why people like Hallway, Pinpoint and all those silly maps, usually we end up playing Babel because at least it's not Hallway. :(

(Just to be clear, I like Babel and I think it's a good mode, but I miss classicgen too much.)
shaz

Okay. I've put up a 24/7 Classicgen. It's currently hosting these scripts:
welcome, ratio, memcheck, aimbotX, banhammer, map_extensions, rapid, paint, protect, passreload, platform, blockinfo, goodmin, htmlhelper, disco, timedmute, bighead, colour, rollback, grownade, sculpt, teamchat, teamchat_mute, analyze, rdadmin, intelactivity, afk, trusted, trollscript, bag4lifeV3, aids2, tow

And currently using the gamemode ToW, however I'm open to suggestions if someone has any other game modes they would like to play. I also wouldn't mind disabling all weapons except for rifle etc to change up gameplay.

Join here - aos://1932730546:1336:0.75 or find "| SZA | CLASSICGEN | Aimpot.com".
Zekamalikyd
Modder
Modder

sza stands for ShaZekAimpot btw
LeCom

Conspiracy^2: set max_connections_per_ip to 32 in the config.txt >;)
shaz

yes
MindTheGap
Deuce

That feeling when it's 3/32. Blue_Crying Green_Crying
I can't really tell why Hallway servers are full and your's so empty :( Maybe people like CTF more than TOW?
I'll try to bring my mates tonight. Blue_Pistol Green_Pistol2
23 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”