What's Next?

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
130 posts Page 6 of 9 First unread post
ReubenMcHawk
Organizer
Organizer

Tai wrote:
ReubenMcHawk wrote:
The BnS community is pretty much guaranteed to die, seeing how high the ratio of whiners/doers is.
Oh get off your high horse, Reuby. We've been growing in users but 0.75 alienated the oldies and the oldies were the ones who ran the servers. Now that they're gone community engagement has dropped to the point of being a curiousity.

The entire expansion we've had (at least from my brief experience as a server admin) has been based chiefly in non-English speaking countries, so of course they're not going to be a part of the community at large.

We've had our time in the sun. We're a niche now; and there's nothing wrong with that, people just have to make peace with it so we can move into legacy-mode.
Yeah, I agree with you. Everyone else seems to thing we need "change!" or "something new!" Only they themselves never do much but whine on the forums and blame the staff, meanwhile life goes on.
LeCom

ReubenMcHawk wrote:
Tai wrote:
ReubenMcHawk wrote:
The BnS community is pretty much guaranteed to die, seeing how high the ratio of whiners/doers is.
Oh get off your high horse, Reuby. We've been growing in users but 0.75 alienated the oldies and the oldies were the ones who ran the servers. Now that they're gone community engagement has dropped to the point of being a curiousity.

The entire expansion we've had (at least from my brief experience as a server admin) has been based chiefly in non-English speaking countries, so of course they're not going to be a part of the community at large.

We've had our time in the sun. We're a niche now; and there's nothing wrong with that, people just have to make peace with it so we can move into legacy-mode.
Yeah, I agree with you. Everyone else seems to thing we need "change!" or "something new!" Only they themselves never do much but whine on the forums and blame the staff, meanwhile life goes on.
Actually the staff is partly responsible for this. Not utterly, of course BnS needs new projects to go on, but it's the job of the staff to push these projects. And the worst thing is that only they are able to actually do that.
ReubenMcHawk
Organizer
Organizer

The staff are inactive, but this forum isn't that big anymore, it's easy to push something around on your own.
LeCom

ReubenMcHawk wrote:
The staff are inactive, but this forum isn't that big anymore, it's easy to push something around on your own.
People are blind, stuff has to be put directly in front of them to make them notice anything. This is where the trouble starts.
Tai
Deuced Up

ReubenMcHawk wrote:
I'm not hating on Izzy or anything but the choice to not let Dan take over was a bit ridiculous seeing all he had done for us and how well positioned he was to handle the community for the next several years. I can see the need for 'change' that those sorts of people are spouting (like I mentioned earlier, a tiered server list would greatly build up the population; a full server is usually better than an empty one).

But I see your point. Let's get working on something new. Blue_Happy1
Tai
Deuced Up

LeCom wrote:
ReubenMcHawk wrote:
People are blind, stuff has to be put directly in front of them to make them notice anything. This is where the trouble starts.
I agree and disagree here. R00b has a good point about it being easy but I think the problem we have is that forums just aren't as popular a format as they used to be. They're slow and don't deliver the relevant content you want to see immediately like people are used to these days.

That said, it's easy to start a thread and have it on the front page. I wouldn't mind seeing the forum exist in three consolidations;
[*]General chat (basically the forum we are in now which can be merged with 'news' and 'lounge')
[*]Maps and Content (I refuse to call texture packs 'mods')
[*]Clan Forums

Really, I never like to browse more than one subforum at a time, and the post rate is so low on nearly all the subs that it wouldn't really matter if we had lounge chat in our general discussion forum. Just while we're moaning about the forums, I wouldn't mind seeing a sig image limit.
EddieMann
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

We may need to create an entirely new game like AoS from scratch.

Frankly, i'm (rightfully) pissed off because I didn't get enough time to cherish this game.

I feel like we could potentially have prevented Ben from selling the game out.

Great, Now where the hell are we supposed to find a new Ace Of Spades?!
EldredChandler
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday

EddieMann wrote:
Unpopular opinion here; Ben did nothing wrong.
LeCom

EldredChandler wrote:
EddieMann wrote:
If Ben hadn't sold it to jagex, he would have made his own version of 1.0, with OpenGL, rocket launchers and these MG thingys. Not sure what that would have led to, considering how "fucked up" 0.75 and 0.76 are.
Tai
Deuced Up

EldredChandler wrote:
EddieMann wrote:
Have to agree. Anyone would have done the same thing and to be fair when he saw the abortion that they wanted to produce he tried to get it back from what I hear.
LeCom wrote:
If Ben hadn't sold it to jagex, he would have made his own version of 1.0, with OpenGL, rocket launchers and these MG thingys. Not sure what that would have led to, considering how "fucked up" 0.75 and 0.76 are.
Also have to agree here though. Ben had already bent to the popular demands of Cawwadoody retards by nerfing the rifle so they could use the SMG.

Frankly I have no idea why we haven't reverted back to 0.70. Pinpoint rifle accuracy was the fulcrum on which the game balanced. You had to be careful and tactical walking around with an SMG or you'd get your head blown off before you could even fire. Now the SMG is more accurate than the rifle.

It would have only been a matter of time until someone in charge bent to popular will, and a matter of time still before those people who wanted to change the game from it's original appeal (strategic shooter) grew tired of it, leaving a dried up husk of a community which was alienated from the developer.

And that is why it's so important that we decentralize. I'd be more of an OpenSpades fan, the trouble is it'll likely never be forked because no one plays AoS anymore. And THAT gentlemen, is why it's important that we recruit more players into our ranks. The trouble is the only people who have financial incentive to advertise Build and Shoot were Stack, Izzy, and Dan. Dan's gone, I haven't heard from Stack in almost two years and Izzy in almost three months.
LeCom

Stack is basically gone. It looks like izzy is too.

If you want to revert versions, then better do it properly, to something before 0.60. 0.54 was pretty popular.

And I'm not sure if it's a good thing to let it go "somewhere". Being community-driven is one thing, but everyone doing what he wants wouldn't work for long.
Tai
Deuced Up

LeCom wrote:

If you want to revert versions, then better do it properly, to something before 0.60. 0.54 was pretty popular.

And I'm not sure if it's a good thing to let it go "somewhere". Being community-driven is one thing, but everyone doing what he wants wouldn't work for long.
I think an interesting concept in developing an open-source client is that it could be forked. If someone wants to go and play Classic AoS (IE rifles only, no autoclimb etc) they are free to go and develop their own version and then throw up a server list.
LeCom

Tai wrote:
LeCom wrote:

I think an interesting concept in developing an open-source client is that it could be forked. If someone wants to go and play Classic AoS (IE rifles only, no autoclimb etc) they are free to go and develop their own version and then throw up a server list.
Either, nobody would play it, or it would split a part of the community. Btw, I thought classic AoS is what we want??
Tai
Deuced Up

LeCom wrote:
Tai wrote:
LeCom wrote:

Either, nobody would play it, or it would split a part of the community. Btw, I thought classic AoS is what we want??
I liked the weapon balance we hit in 0.70. I like the game as it is now bar the weapon balances and some back-end stuff (IE the stuff that makes certain cheats available).

I think the important thing is options. I'd certainly love to see the original game with only rifles and no autoclimb just to see what it was like. You can't force people to play anything whatever the case, and new gamemodes have shown that (right now the only two servers with any appreciable population are Babel and Arena). The key here isn't fragmentation, but forkability. It could even be made easier with just having certain options (IE 'sprint Y/N, Autoclimb Y/N, SMG allowed Y/N')

See what I mean?
LeCom

Tai wrote:
LeCom wrote:
Tai wrote:
LeCom wrote:

I liked the weapon balance we hit in 0.70. I like the game as it is now bar the weapon balances and some back-end stuff (IE the stuff that makes certain cheats available).

I think the important thing is options. I'd certainly love to see the original game with only rifles and no autoclimb just to see what it was like. You can't force people to play anything whatever the case, and new gamemodes have shown that (right now the only two servers with any appreciable population are Babel and Arena). The key here isn't fragmentation, but forkability. It could even be made easier with just having certain options (IE 'sprint Y/N, Autoclimb Y/N, SMG allowed Y/N')

See what I mean?
I'd agree with you on game flexibility, if the playerbase was decent. But if there's an option to play arena or hallway or similar, nobody will even give the slightest of a fuck about other things. Players will just exploit any options to play a free CS/CoD, and ignore anything else.
130 posts Page 6 of 9 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”