wtf is voxelauth?

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
9 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
epicfacethe3rd
Deuced Up

http://voxelauth.com/
izzy, can you make this mandatory on aloha, and possible get some work done with this?
that would be wonderfull.
rakiru
Coder
Coder

VA is not currently suitable to be used fully. We were working on rewriting it, and were in talks with danhezee about integrating the system with BnS, but he moved on shortly after discussions started. As it is right now, it is unlikely to be revived, as it would need support from BnS to become popular enough to be useful for anything outside of privately organised leagues or something. Perhaps if I end up with a ton of time or BnS becomes less stagnant, we might revive it.
izzy
Head Admin / Co-founder
Head Admin / Co-founder

I PM'd rakiru in April 2014 regarding problems I found while testing VoxelAuth:
--- Log opened Thu Apr 03 14:15:12 2014
14:15 -!- Irssi: Starting query in quakenet with rakiru
14:15 <izzy-> a few problems i noticed with voxelauth: 1) always kicked from 0.76 servers, 2) voxelauth only tries to launch installed client and ignores server version which results in version conflict, 3) kicked from 0.75 servers if 0.75 is installed after voxelauth, 4) voxelauth can't find 0.75 or 0.76 if bns launcher is installed (bns launcher extracts the clients to non-default locations)
14:17 <rakiru> yeah, i didn't actually write multi-version support (not completely), so it only supports 0.75 as the default install
14:17 <rakiru> it was also out before the bns launcher, so doesn't support that
14:17 <rakiru> i dropped support for it as i was busy for a month or two after releasing it (exams and such), and by that point, stack said he was working on bns auth
I asked him what would be needed on the BnS end to integrate with BnS, and what options could he provide:
--- Log opened Fri Apr 04 03:22:09 2014
03:22 <rakiru> because only stack has access to alter bns to allow for that, as far as i'm aware
04:11 <izzy-> what would need to be altered on bns to make it doable?
04:11 <izzy-> dan and i have access as well, so it's not so much a matter of access as it is understanding what's needed
04:14 <izzy-> i'm curious what options are available from you...
04:16 <rakiru> well in that case it wouldn't be too hard
04:17 <rakiru> i can't offer anything any time soon since i'm busy with work
rakiru
Coder
Coder

As I (thought I) said, I've been pretty busy, so work on something for a dead game with a community that hasn't been in the habit of really doing anything, or supporting those that do (Iceball, VXW, etc.), has been pretty low on my priorities. Stack saying he was working on BnS auth sort of killed any thought I had of this being useful back when I had time and was originally working on it. Unreal and I put some more work into it in the summer, but when Dan left, and the conversation I had with him (which I'm not going to post, because it wasn't in a public channel) at the time, it felt like just yet another sign that it's really not worth the effort necessary. We had been discussing some form of integration with him before that, but we were still on the fence about some things, and a lot of it was still up in the air. Additionally, we had yet to write an OpenSpades compatible version.

The gist of it is, it's a lot of work, and unless I know it's going to be widely useful, it's just not worth my time. With the ever-dwindling playerbase, and lack of seemingly anyone left who wants to and can do something to revive it, I just don't care.

As an aside, in the above quote when I said it "wouldn't be too hard", I meant using our old system, but installing an OAuth plugin or writing a small forum user validation script to properly link VA accounts to BnS ones (the old way had a bot send PMs). Integrating with BnS fully (using forum accounts) would require a much larger rewrite, and mean Stack would have to allow other people to touch his code.
Mr.Torch
Artist
Artist

rakiru wrote:
As I (thought I) said, I've been pretty busy, so work on something for a dead game with a community that hasn't been in the habit of really doing anything, or supporting those that do (Iceball, VXW, etc.), has been pretty low on my priorities. Stack saying he was working on BnS auth sort of killed any thought I had of this being useful back when I had time and was originally working on it. Unreal and I put some more work into it in the summer, but when Dan left, and the conversation I had with him (which I'm not going to post, because it wasn't in a public channel) at the time, it felt like just yet another sign that it's really not worth the effort necessary. We had been discussing some form of integration with him before that, but we were still on the fence about some things, and a lot of it was still up in the air. Additionally, we had yet to write an OpenSpades compatible version.

The gist of it is, it's a lot of work, and unless I know it's going to be widely useful, it's just not worth my time. With the ever-dwindling playerbase, and lack of seemingly anyone left who wants to and can do something to revive it, I just don't care.

As an aside, in the above quote when I said it "wouldn't be too hard", I meant using our old system, but installing an OAuth plugin or writing a small forum user validation script to properly link VA accounts to BnS ones (the old way had a bot send PMs). Integrating with BnS fully (using forum accounts) would require a much larger rewrite, and mean Stack would have to allow other people to touch his code.
What would you like? I've been looking into making some maps and can get into making skins, but there are plenty of those. I've made splash screens before and can make more. I think we could band some old modders together and try to revive the game if we have a good incentive. Maybe we can start a kickstarter and get some funded game development going. I don't know, before this thread turns into something it's not supposed to be what would it take to get you interested in making/finishing an authentication system?
LeCom

I thought it's obvious that nobody is going to code something difficult for such a dead and hopeless community. Bns has enough mods and such (tho' I have to say that server mods are being neglected pretty hard right now).
Plus, this won't have sense until people do non-aloha events again.
Also, lol @kickstarter/funding idea.
Mr.Torch
Artist
Artist

LeCom wrote:
I thought it's obvious that nobody is going to code something difficult for such a dead and hopeless community. Bns has enough mods and such (tho' I have to say that server mods are being neglected pretty hard right now).
+1 for positivity. The game is not dead yet.
Lincent
Veterans
Veterans

LeCom wrote:
LeCom wrote:
I thought it's obvious that nobody is going to code something difficult for such a dead and hopeless community.
Thats allot coming from the only coder left.
LeCom wrote:
Bns has enough mods and such (tho' I have to say that server mods are being neglected pretty hard right now).
BnS is a community of veterans unlike JaGex, this means our player count won't be 0 when Ace of Spades 1.x has 0.
Lecom wrote:
Events don't stimulate new players, what we need is better video advertising and better tutorials.
Lecom wrote:
Obviously this isn't the best idea, the best solution to me is to steam greenlight an updated Iceball or Openspades.
Mr.Torch
Artist
Artist

Lincent wrote:
steam greenlight an updated Iceball or Openspades.
Iceball might be okay, but OS is soooo horrible for people that don't have fancy computers. And it's a lot buggier than the classic client and we know how many glitches that has lol.
9 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”