Ace of Spades 0.X >>> ???????? <<< OpenSpades

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
12 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Cris21823
Deuce

Like the subject i want an ace of spades that is between Open Spades And The classic in graphics because Open Spades is awesome
but some people with low end computers can't play it, but, they don't like the classic because of the strange 2D weird sprites that makes it looks bad as hell so i wanted an Ace of Spades that is the ''medium'' between these 2 in graphics or an Open Spades without
that many graphical features (shaders, shaders, shaders, shaders) Blue_BigSmile
Ink_Incorporate
Deuce

Something I'd personally love is Build and Shoot with OpenSpades features. I love Build and Shoot's graphics more than OpenSpades' graphics. I honestly think I'm the only one, but I like some features that OpenSpades has. In-game server list, a message that pops up on your screen when you kill a guy. Grenades that can be thrown farther and have a quicker priming animation. That kind of stuff.
Cris21823
Deuce

By looking through the forums i found this abandoned project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QINwCaJgX4o this was exact what i wanted.
Lincent
Veterans
Veterans

Cris21823 wrote:
By looking through the forums i found this abandoned project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QINwCaJgX4o this was exact what i wanted.
That was what Ace of Spades was going to be... To me Openspades and Build and Shoot have 2 very different styles, Openspades has a particularly Plastic Toy like feeling.
longbyte1
Deuced Up

I don't remember why this was canceled, I just know that it was announced for a while ("hey we're making an OpenGL client! screenshot!") but then OpenSpades came along and prospered as appealing to Battlefield fans.

Anyway, nobody's picked it up because half the code is actually disassembled code from the binary (and still in assembly language).

I think I'm talking about this?

If somebody could get on the job that would be awesome and would definitely lift this community back up, but it's a great burden dealing with Ben's insanely optimized code.
Tigershield
Deuce

Openspades is fine It should be the main client for Build and Shoot. And maby even give it some updates. Like that old HMG that AOS should have been.
longbyte1
Deuced Up

Tigershield wrote:
Openspades is fine It should be the main client for Build and Shoot. And maby even give it some updates. Like that old HMG that AOS should have been.
Yeah, except that it doesn't run on your grandmother's rig.
epicfacethe3rd
Deuced Up

VXW looks promising, but lecom has yet to dump the source.
and he quit.
TheSniperFan
Deuce

Icarus North wrote:
I think the real issue with openspades is that it basically looks like someone took toy soldiers and made an FPS with them. The game would be much more enjoyable if the lighting was more akin to AoS classic, that dark and gloomy feel. All this bloom and sun glare and smooth lighting just doesn't feel right in a WWI-era voxel FPS.
Believe it or not, but "colors" weren't invented somewhere between WW2 and now. Green_Happy3
I think a potential future AOS shouldn't restrict itself to one specific setting. That would be a huge waste, because you can have maps during shiny days, rainy nights and practically every weather condition in the same game.
Icarus North wrote:
JaGex ended support for 1.x last december, is Ben Aksoy still unable to make OpenGL AoS?
What does "unable to make OGL AOS" mean?
What does Jagex really own? In all likelihood just the trademark and the old and new code.
As long as he writes a new engine from scratch, doesn't name it "Ace Of Spades" and doesn't make it an exact clone, he should be good to go.
Icarus North wrote:
Why not get a circle of people and make yet another community project
You need to find the right people.
Believe me, you'll find tons of ideas guys within a short timespan. You need to find developers though.
Icarus North wrote:
Hold on: Can't Iceball join PySpades servers? Why not make it compatible enough to play with people using other AoS clients?
Because it wouldn't be a good idea as it would turn Iceball into AOS. I'll probably receive some flame over this but here we go:
Ace Of Spades 0.7x is simply not a good game.
The troubled past of its development process doesn't change what the reality looks like today. The sad truth is that AOS Classic is a game that had tons of potential, but ultimately failed to deliver.
No, I am not blaming the developer. He was fucked over by Jagex, but this doesn't make 0.7x any better. It's still a game with more cheaters than content.
epicfacethe3rd
Deuced Up

seriously, look at iceball for realz. it's well designed, open source, ect. it just needs a playerbase. once someone agrees that we will should put it on steam, we will. it's open source, so if you want you can go ahead and make a fork for steam, just no one has. at this stage, i think people are too afraid to put it on steam, as we simply don't have a large playerbase, due to the fact that only the dev crew and a few forum members play it. outside of this circle, it's virtually unheard of. i would be in favor of introducing it to some online communities though. we need to have a website that functions as a copy of the github page however, so we can say, oh, just go to iceba.ll or iceball.wtf or whatever the url will be.
epicfacethe3rd
Deuced Up

Icarus North wrote:
epicfacethe3rd wrote:
seriously, look at iceball for realz. it's well designed, open source, ect. it just needs a playerbase. once someone agrees that we will should put it on steam, we will. it's open source, so if you want you can go ahead and make a fork for steam, just no one has. at this stage, i think people are too afraid to put it on steam, as we simply don't have a large playerbase, due to the fact that only the dev crew and a few forum members play it. outside of this circle, it's virtually unheard of. i would be in favor of introducing it to some online communities though. we need to have a website that functions as a copy of the github page however, so we can say, oh, just go to iceba.ll or iceball.wtf or whatever the url will be.
pretty true

it'd be nice if iceball TRIED getting public so at least it wouldn't be just GM and forum players
there is no real way to do that. quite simply put, we have no connections to the outside world of video games. word of mouth is the best approach right now, perhaps an event held by a major group on steam.
longbyte1
Deuced Up

Your solution is to make a new game entirely and build a community from scratch as a "successor" to the old AoS. Don't build it around the BnS community like VXW did, and don't make the same "open source" mistakes Iceball did.
12 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”