WebGL client

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
57 posts Page 1 of 4 First unread post
longbyte1
Deuced Up

I would really like to see a WebGL version of AoS. We keep making the same mistake, wanting AoS for platform X or platform Y. Why not have it in the browser so that visitors could play it without having to actually install AoS on their computer? They could also play it at school why not.

On top of that, we wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel since there's already Three.js, ENet bindings, and Voxel.js that we could use. And I'm willing to tear off some client code from the bot I wanted to make in order to make this WebGL AoS.
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

That is a very interesting idea. There's a lot of potential in WebGl.
Lincent
Veterans
Veterans

longbyte1 wrote:
I would really like to see a WebGL version of AoS. We keep making the same mistake, wanting AoS for platform X or platform Y. Why not have it in the browser so that visitors could play it without having to actually install AoS on their computer? They could also play it at school why not.

On top of that, we wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel since there's already Three.js, ENet bindings, and Voxel.js that we could use. And I'm willing to tear off some client code from the bot I wanted to make in order to make this WebGL AoS.
I had the same idea for a wile now, hopefully Izzy will let you implement this.
longbyte1
Deuced Up

stretch goal: add Voxlap faithful mode, port iceball to emscripten
Anesthesia
Deuce

.... So, how do you plan on using sockets from javascript?
longbyte1
Deuced Up

Anesthesia wrote:
Probably going to have to wrap it in WebRTC. I wanted to not have to host a server with lots of clients but this is increasingly becoming inevitable.

So now it would be something like this:
Code: Select all
Client --\                               /--Server
          >---WebRTC/Websocket server --<
Client --/                               \--Server
A unique identifier system would be quite complicated in forethought, now that we have to use websockets, to prevent abuse. That would mean that on connect, the server would have to be responsible for checking the GBL for the client's IP, and it would somehow have to check for local bans. Oh gosh...

Or how about this. If the server kicks a client's connected websocket and the websocket finds out it's a ban, then we'd put the client in time-out for getting the websocket banned (because it's a proxy by design).

At any rate, I'm willing to work with it.

At the moment, however, I am fixing up the CLI version of my client code so that I can get it ready for porting to the browser.
Lincent
Veterans
Veterans

longbyte1 wrote:
Anesthesia wrote:
Probably going to have to wrap it in WebRTC. I wanted to not have to host a server with lots of clients but this is increasingly becoming inevitable.

So now it would be something like this:
Code: Select all
Client --\                               /--Server
          >---WebRTC/Websocket server --<
Client --/                               \--Server
A unique identifier system would be quite complicated in forethought, now that we have to use websockets, to prevent abuse. That would mean that on connect, the server would have to be responsible for checking the GBL for the client's IP, and it would somehow have to check for local bans. Oh gosh...

Or how about this. If the server kicks a client's connected websocket and the websocket finds out it's a ban, then we'd put the client in time-out for getting the websocket banned (because it's a proxy by design).

At any rate, I'm willing to work with it.

At the moment, however, I am fixing up the CLI version of my client code so that I can get it ready for porting to the browser.
How will people be able to change game options in the Web Client?
; How will people be able to decide which server to play on in the Web Client?
longbyte1
Deuced Up

Lincent wrote:
  • Game options will be saved locally of course.
  • The server list will essentially be the main screen of the web client. It will be almost identical to the current main page since it would load from the same master server list.
  • When you click on a server, the address bar will silently change to the address of the server you are going to (e.g. http://webgl.buildandshoot.com/ would turn into http://webgl.buildandshoot.com/server/1379434439/34887). Of course the page will not reload.
  • The client will handshake with an available websocket server (only one well-built node is really needed to handle all the clients) and pass the address. Browsers hate connecting to arbitrary addresses with arbitrary protocols, so we must use WebRTC/WebSockets to wrap the connection into something more tolerable.
  • The client proceeds with the regular AoS handshake routine as per the protocol. The websocket at this point will only act as a relay since any further intervention would only increase latency.
Lincent
Veterans
Veterans

longbyte1 wrote:
Lincent wrote:
  • Game options will be saved locally of course.
  • The server list will essentially be the main screen of the web client. It will be almost identical to the current main page since it would load from the same master server list.
  • When you click on a server, the address bar will silently change to the address of the server you are going to (e.g. http://webgl.buildandshoot.com/ would turn into http://webgl.buildandshoot.com/server/1379434439/34887). Of course the page will not reload.
  • The client will handshake with an available websocket server (only one well-built node is really needed to handle all the clients) and pass the address. Browsers hate connecting to arbitrary addresses with arbitrary protocols, so we must use WebRTC/WebSockets to wrap the connection into something more tolerable.
  • The client proceeds with the regular AoS handshake routine as per the protocol. The websocket at this point will only act as a relay since any further intervention would only increase latency.
Interesting I am slightly surprised Izzy hasn't replied to this thread yet
noobofspades
Deuced Up

Lincent wrote:
It's been years now. How did you not get used to BnS yet?
longbyte1
Deuced Up

Lincent wrote:
At this point Izzy nor any site leader here is interested in any plans. They want tangible results.

Unfortunately I am the only one here who is able to produce the framework for a client before I can begin hosting it on GitHub.
LeCom

longbyte1 wrote:
Lincent wrote:
At this point Izzy nor any site leader here is interested in any plans. They want tangible results.
Not even that. They only try to adjust to hypes sometimes.
longbyte1 wrote:
Unfortunately I am the only one here who is able to produce the framework for a client before I can begin hosting it on GitHub.
Probably cause it's all java.
Btw I wonder how a first version would turn out in terms of efficiency - I'm not denying that Java is fast, but I never saw a project yet which was able to process large stuff as efficiently as C/C++ for example.
IAmYourFriend
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

On a side note, there's a VXL file renderer also using Javascript by yvt: https://yvt.jp/jvox/
longbyte1
Deuced Up

IAmYourFriend wrote:
On a side note, there's a VXL file renderer also using Javascript by yvt: https://yvt.jp/jvox/
LeCom wrote:
longbyte1 wrote:
Probably cause it's all java.
Btw I wonder how a first version would turn out in terms of efficiency - I'm not denying that Java is fast, but I never saw a project yet which was able to process large stuff as efficiently as C/C++ for example.
JavaScript you mean? I'm using Node.js Blue_Happy1
Performance is not exactly a concern since browsers use GPU acceleration for WebGL. I am trying to do my best not to reinvent the wheel as far as putting things together. That means don't try to make your own voxel engine; use Voxel.js, which in part uses Three.js, which does not ever try using CPU for rendering anything.

Java is a stupidly redundant language. I use it for academic purposes but anything other than that and enterprise code is just awful. Not only that, but Oracle is kicking the user base off Java. They are not even trying to develop a JavaScript-based JRE, which would save a lot of time since there are a bunch of applets floating around on the Web that nobody will bother porting to JS.
IAmYourFriend wrote:
That looks really useful. Thanks for that.
LeCom

I didn't say a single word about raycasting with java/js lol
Just had terrible experiences with this, but if you say it's fast enough, fine. We can judge when there's a first version
57 posts Page 1 of 4 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”