We need more players... we need more steam!

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
57 posts Page 3 of 4 First unread post
epicfacethe3rd
Deuced Up

Warp wrote:
epicfacethe3rd wrote:
Greenlight is now up here, all we realy need now is a trailer and the $100. if someone could post an announcement on the steam group page, that would be great.
I thought it would be OS. ;-)

Oh well how does one pay it? Seems to be no option.

Edit: Oh hang on, you can't yet.
it appears that i can only pay it.
hit me up with a friend request, i'm on the steam group, and then you should be able to funnel the $100 through me.
LeCom wrote:
*random bullshit, blah blah, blah*
I'm eager to see how this is going to end. Inb4 just 3x more hallway/arena servers for some time.
+1
mattbeech2
Deuce

Oh, the community is still somewhat alive then, i could put the game on game on steam if you want, theres one problem though
And it begins with a J and ends with an x
Lincent
Veterans
Veterans

mattbeech2 wrote:
Oh, the community is still somewhat alive then, i could put the game on game on steam if you want, theres one problem though
And it begins with a J and ends with an x
I don't think we want just any random loser putting Openspades on "steam greenlight" ;I would prefer one of the devs putting it on there.
mattbeech2
Deuce

Yeah i guess you have a point.
Dare
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Since more people started talking about the "put Aos on Steam" idea, seems like it's becoming more realistic. If the Steam community would actually give this game a Green light, then we would have tons of maps to put in Workshop section of the game. I would only agree with making some new initiative there in the larger gaming community.
LeCom wrote:
I'm eager to see how this is going to end. Inb4 just 3x more hallway/arena servers for some time.
Still it's better than to do nothing. It's better to see the hallway servers populated than empty servers.

Also, not sure if you noticed that, but some time ago there was a server with new gamemode called 'Kraken' and it had a lots of players on it, so I think that even small things or small changes can bring people to play this game.
LeCom

Dare[AoS] wrote:
LeCom wrote:
Still it's better than to do nothing. It's better to see the hallway servers populated than empty servers.
Not like I actually care what will happen.
Dare[AoS] wrote:
Also, not sure if you noticed that, but some time ago there was a server with new gamemode called 'Kraken' and it had a lots of players on it, so I think that even small things or small changes can bring people to play this game.
Definitely didn't notice, because certainly never set up or administrated it or something.
epicfacethe3rd
Deuced Up

What if, like, we figured out how to convert psyspades scripts to IB?
Woah.
Also, grease kindly asked me to take down the IB greenlight due to overall shittiness. Anyone wiling to help make a proper page (gm said he had intrest in steam) gets a free cookie!.
Dare
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

LeCom wrote:
Dare[AoS] wrote:
LeCom wrote:
Not like I actually care what will happen.
Even though you've made that Aos clone - VoxelWar you can still stop caring? Okay. Still, this is not the end of Aos, I just checked the server count and there are 2206 players in game atm.
I am also not convinced that the Steam idea would help to bring the game more alive. Well, since I've been playing the game for like 4 years I haven't stopped caring about it.
LeCom wrote:
Dare[AoS] wrote:
Definitely didn't notice, because certainly never set up or administrated it or something.
Cool. kraken was fun while it lasted.
Captain_Pi
Artist
Artist

Gonna need some form of marketing if you want the pitch the game to anyone, especially steam.
Dare
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Captain_Pi wrote:
Gonna need some form of marketing if you want the pitch the game to anyone, especially steam.
There were games that got the support from the community although the games were barely playable (Air Control). It's about presenting the product and posting a review with all superlatives describing the game. It's not that hard to get attention on Steam if you have few action packed videos and eye-catching screenshots.
LeCom

Dare[AoS] wrote:
Still, this is not the end of Aos, I just checked the server count and there are 2206 players in game atm.
Uhh was that, like, before jagex took over? Or is there some secret peek time when I'm asleep?
Also, I'm pretty sure that there's not much to care about if one's fav servers are down.
MissionCo
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Perhaps a bit off topic but, why are all the projects aimed at recreating AoS always from scratch? Why not use engines like Unreal or Unity? It seems to me that you could a) get started quicker and b) possibly have a better chance of finding developers willing to help because they are so widely used. I'm sure I'm missing some glaring detail here
LeCom

1. I'm not sure how these engines actually work, but they might not have the low system requirements that a voxel game is actually supposed to have. The way OpenSpades does it is already pretty slow; moreover, especially such large engines might have an overhead.
2. AFAIK both engines are commercial, and that's a no-go since Jagex took over.
MissionCo
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

LeCom wrote:
2. AFAIK both engines are commercial, and that's a no-go since Jagex took over.
They can be commercial. There are definitely options to not make your game commercial with those engines, otherwise I wouldn't use them. Jagex can't do anything if you don't use their assets.

And you're pretty on par with how Unity/Unreal would be close to OpenSpades in system requirements. Unity's website is claiming lowest lowest requirements need at least DX9 (Shader model 2), so standard computers from 2004.
LeCom

What I mean with commercial is that they were made by commercial companies and I'm not sure but aren't they proprietary?

About the tech stuff, as I said, I have no idea how these work, but unless they're somehow optimized for voxels, their only technical advantage would be simplicity of development.
57 posts Page 3 of 4 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”