(PUG) Pick Up Games with Leaderboards and Stats discussion

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
21 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
danhezee
Former Admin / Co-founder
Former Admin / Co-founder

The Idea:

I'll start out by saying this idea is heavily influenced by an old project by TheGrandmaster. He called it Gather, I like the word PUG better. So that is why I am calling it that.

Pick Up Games, (PUGs), would be competitive matches against any number of players, 1v1 through 16v16, that could be initiated on demand in IRC.

Players stats would be recorded and automatically uploaded to a database.

Players would use an IRC bot to set up and initialize the match. The bot would pm a password to the players to join the server.

The password would be dynamically generated for each match. Only people that are suppose to be in the match will be there.

Once everyone on the blue and green team typed /ready the match would begin.

Other stuff:

For stat tracking we need an authing system. We need to verify whos who. Stack is starting to work on authing for the bns launcher.

The bns launcher could even make so passworded servers wouldnt let a player join unless they knew the password. I know that sounds obvious, but without the launcher, a server would have to let a player join and then kick them after they failed to type in the correct password.

I would love to see the PUGs work for any gamemode but at first I think I would like to limit it to Team Deathmatch. The number of kills needed to win would scale according to the number of players on each team. I.E. 1v1 might be the first team to 20 kills but larger teams would have higher kill requirements.
StarDust
League Participant
League Participant

good idea, it would be interesting.
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hell yes.
Juxta
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

If I'm needed to join a team I will but other than that I will sit this one out. But I am absolutely loving seeing moe ladder-y and league-y stuff happening.
Willy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

topo and I would love to have some 2 vs 2 (perhaps 3 vs 3 if we can yell at face/hawkan) matches \o/
.uvs
Deuced Up

Sounds awesome
TB_
Post Demon
Post Demon

Sounds like a fun thing to do Green_Happy1
ThisFrickinSite
Deuced Up

The amount of kills should probably be set by the players who are participating, because the time it take to reach 20 kills in a 1v1 on a wide open, rolling hills type of map is going to be a lot longer than some sort of assault map, like pinpoint.
LASTofS
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

Like I suggested yesterday, there should be some sort of ELO rating system implemented to allow fair, balanced teams to automatically be created by the IRC bot. Anybody interested in joining the PUG can simply type a command in the channel, and be placed into a lobby, then teams are auto-picked to prevent team-stacking.

PUGs sound interesting, it'll definitely be a change of pace compared to pubs. I remember the Mumble Babel Match between danhezee and Enari, and that was pretty fun. I'd imagine a PUG for Build and Shoot to be something similar. :-)
learn_more
Coder
Coder

like i said in irc yesterday, contact leshka (Quakenet#warsow.pickup) as he runs the pickup bot in that channel,
and he said he wanted to help you guys set it up.
needed: linux + python
Eimis
League Champs
League Champs

pls do
Gingerninjaperson
League Participant
League Participant

This would be amazing if done.
Xtra

Xtra wrote:
This would be amazing if done.
Eimis
League Champs
League Champs

Is this still going on? I would really like to know the progress on this topic, excuse me for necro-posting.
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

YES PLEASE GET IT DONE THANKS
21 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”