Windows 8 + Voxlap FPS fix

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
22 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Anyone who's tried AoS on windows 8 has probably noticed it performs pretty badly even with decent specs. This is due to some shit with DirectDraw blah blah here's a fix
Code: Select all
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]
"C:\\Path\\To\\AoS\\client.exe"="$ DWM8And16BitMitigation Layer_ForceDirectDrawEmulation"
Save that as xyz.reg and run it. Works for whatever version, will work for several versions simultaneously (you only have to run it once per version - just make sure you get the path right).

If you play fullscreen, you'll probably experience screen flickering. I don't have a fix for this, so unfortunately you get to pick between shitty framerate and annoying, distracting screen flickering. I prefer to play at 60fps, so I put up with it.

ps bagz is a noob

EDIT YAY

I got sick of the flickering bullshit, so here's another fix. It doesn't require the original fix to run. It does prevent you from alt-tabbing out of aos (sorry). If you use a higher resolution you might have some fps issues while zoomed. Apart from that I love it woo

Grab this (alt link) and extract it into your ace of spades directory. That should be all you need to do afaik \:D/
Last edited by topo on Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
learn_more
Coder
Coder

on x64 the path could be Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft
Willy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

posting in a topo thread
Sennar
League Participant
League Participant

I love you.
Xenon
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

I need help setting it up. This is what I have:
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Have you actually run it? Just double click xyz.reg and ignore any warnings/say yes to any prompts - that's all you need to do. It doesn't need to actually be in the aos installation directory and you don't even need to keep the file once you've run it.

Also, forgot to reply earlier:
learn_more wrote:
I'm on x64 and what I posted works for me. Maybe that would also work for x64, but I haven't tried :)
learn_more
Coder
Coder

topo wrote:
Also, forgot to reply earlier:
learn_more wrote:
I'm on x64 and what I posted works for me. Maybe that would also work for x64, but I haven't tried :)
in that case it's not needed :)
T3ER
Deuced Up

Awesome man! Blue_Happy3 Green_Happy3
I think you can't get exactly same preformance than if you use Openspades but its around 20 or 25 fps and before something like 10. And no screen flickering! This saved my day because i didn't want to play with Openspades's crappy aiming. Back into AOS!
.uvs
Deuced Up

I still lag like crazy :\ 10fps with Win8.1
Tried LMs suggested change too

* edit: It was supposed to be double backslashes in the path? It works! \o/ Awesome. Thanks topo <3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

beep boop

I got sick of the flickering bullshit, so here's another fix. It doesn't require the original fix to run. It does prevent you from alt-tabbing out of aos (sorry). If you use a higher resolution you might have some fps issues while zoomed. Apart from that I love it woo

Grab this and extract it into your ace of spades directory. That should be all you need to do afaik \:D/
Xenon
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

topo wrote:
Grab this and extract it into your ace of spades directory. That should be all you need to do afaik \:D/
I used this and now every time I press "m" to bring up the map in-game, my game just crashes.

On a good not though, it put my FPS from 15 frames to a very smooth 30 frames. So I put up with not being able to bring up my map.
ZEB 99
Post Demon
Post Demon

how exactly would you get this to work?
learn_more
Coder
Coder

ZEB 99 wrote:
how exactly would you get this to work?
for starters, learn to read.
ZEB 99
Post Demon
Post Demon

id already got this like 3 days ago, also why are 90% of your posts just smart ass comments anyways?
learn_more
Coder
Coder

because quite some people are in need of those apparently.
22 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”