Technical support: problem with resolution

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
22 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Geo_14
Deuce

Hi, my config.ini file used to play aos on fulscreen on every resolution just fine. I made a mod and i pretty much destroyed kv6 and(i added more blocks on the head which i shouldn't do) so i repaired the whole aos file (because i thought that was the problem) and when i found the problem i changed the kv6 default file with the mod's one(btw i changed the splash image too). I changed my name on the config file because it was on default and the resolution was default too(800x600). When i tried to play on a server it would throw me an error "initdirectdraw failed: 0x80004001" so i changed the resolution. I tried all the resolutions aos supports and so aos would work only on 640x480 and on all the other resolutions it would throw me the same error. I wouldn't mind playing in 640x480 but it crashes whenever i press "m" to open the map. I use Windows XP 32bit so please tell me what can i do to run the other resolutions?
danhezee
Former Admin / Co-founder

you can not play at 640 x 480 because the map is 512 x 512.
Geo_14
Deuce

I don't care about 640x480(and it does play just fine, except map). I wanna know what to do to make the other resolutions work again...
danhezee

change it to 800 x 600
Dare
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

danhezee wrote:
change it to 800 x 600
Danhezee, I think Geo_14 can't play it on 800 x 600 because of the error.
Geo_14 wrote:
I changed my name on the config file because it was on default and the resolution was default too(800x600). When i tried to play on a server it would throw me an error "initdirectdraw failed: 0x80004001"
Geo_14
Deuce

Yes, that's it, it throws me the error "initdirectdraw failed: 0x80004001" and it happens on the resolutions: 800x600, 1024x768,.,. all of them except 640x480 which i said i don't want to play on...
Somnium
League Participant
League Participant

Did you unplug it and plug it back in?
Geo_14
Deuce

i unplugged the mod i was making and saved it to desktop, then i uninstalled aos and re-installed it and then i plugged the mod there. Do you think that's the problem?By the way, when i saw that it would throw me that error i deleted again the whole aos file and re-installed it, but this time without plugging again the mod and playing only with defaults and it would throw me again the error :/
Captain_Pi
Artist
Artist

try playing it with the computer on.
Somnium
League Participant
League Participant

Lawl. I was kidding when I said did you unplug it and plug it back in.
Reporauno
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

You guys are dumb as a rock. Stupid autistic kids, if someone asks for help, does it force you to say retarted stuff like "try to play with your computer on" or so on. Idiots.
Zekamalikyd
Modder
Modder

first off, extremely rude, reporauno.
secondly, did you try joining other servers?
Reporauno
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

Yes rude, however you take it, and if you actually read it you could see he is getting an initdirectdraw error, which is clearly not a server side issue.
Zekamalikyd
Modder
Modder

worked for me every single time
Somnium
League Participant
League Participant

Reporauno wrote:
You guys are dumb as a rock. Stupid autistic kids, if someone asks for help, does it force you to say retarted stuff like "try to play with your computer on" or so on. Idiots.
It's funny how you decided to post that, continuing the idiocy instead of helping him. Just saying.

I think you have a broken file some where. Try manually uninstalling AOS installs as well as the launcher. From there permanently erase all files you have in your C: . Make sure there's no files left anywhere that involve AOS (this includes shortcuts). Next clear your Rec bin. Make sure there is no evidence of on you pc. Restart your system, turn it back on, download the launcher and the 2 client versions, instal the launcher, drag the AOS files onto your desktop, download the launcher and finally open it. >Game Installations and options> add installation> add new installation> click 0.75 save. Follow the previous steps but add o.76 this time. After this you need to Make sure that your AOS res is compatible with your PC screen res. Dan said 800 x 600 So try that first. If it works. I'd leave it alone until you can figure out what you did wrong the first time. Now with KV6. files. Make sure that you have everything named correctly. no copies or wrong file types there. Most errors are because someone's changed something wrong.

Other than that Idk how to help you. I've had these errors before. The only thing I could do was delete everything then restart. I just never figure out what I did wrong the first time. Also try to keep all of your AOS files/folders located in one place. Sometimes removing/detaching the wrong file leads to errors.
22 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”