[Need help] Mac OSX Open Spades v 0.0.12b Modding

OpenSpades is an open source alternative client for AoS Classic and beyond! Runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Created by yvt.
Compatible with AoS Classic.
16 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Legomax11
Deuced Up

I am RUNNING Openspades [The awesome high graphics one] On my Mac OSX Maverick Version 10.9.2, This modpack made my mouth hit the floor. I have tried to mod Open spades by clicking the application Open Spades and showing the package contents. then I go to resources and the only way to mod is to open the .pak files. On a Mac OSX there is no app that can unpack these files and pack them. Please help. I need an app or a trick that can help me open these .pak folders so I can install these awesome weapons.

P.S. The only mods i've gotten to work is DerZobbiens future pack [http://buildandshoot.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=11137] only the weapons by just replacing the .pak files. If that is any help. Blue_Happy1
1Shot1Kill
Modder
Modder

Find a program that opens up ZIP files, and assign that to open your PAK files.
Legomax11
Deuced Up

1Shot1Kill wrote:
I can unpak the .pak folders with the unarchiver, which turns it into a folder, but then i can't turn that folder back into a .pak [renaming it doesn't work, remember im on a mac.]
1Shot1Kill
Modder
Modder

Legomax11 wrote:
1Shot1Kill wrote:
I can unpak the .pak folders with the unarchiver, which turns it into a folder, but then i can't turn that folder back into a .pak [renaming it doesn't work, remember im on a mac.]
Well I don't know how to help you further than that, I have OSX 10.9.4 on my Hackintosh, but I boot up the Windows partiton if I want to use OpenSpades.
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

1Shot1Kill wrote:
Legomax11 wrote:
1Shot1Kill wrote:
Well I don't know how to help you further than that, I have OSX 10.9.4 on my Hackintosh, but I boot up the Windows partiton if I want to use OpenSpades.
Paks = Zips.

No difference. You don't have to use a PAK for mods, I distribute mine in folders which people can paste in. Try one of mine, does it work for you?
Evergreen
Deuced Up

Does your archiver give you the option to view the files, rather than unpack them? Idk how it looks on a mac, but with 7zip I just browse the .pak file as is without unzipping it, and paste the mod files directly into it.
1Shot1Kill
Modder
Modder

Actually, you could just rename the PAK into a ZIP, insert the files into the ZIP, and rename it back into a PAK.
shaz

You have to right click them, go on more info then change their extension back to .PAK when you're done.

To unpack them you would rename them to .ZIP then unzip them via a program, do what you want, and refer to the line above to re-pack.
Legomax11
Deuced Up

I can take the .pak. then i can open it and it creates another folder[only way it works without a different app] and then i mod the folder with modifications to openspades. Then i compress the folder to a .zip. and turn that to a .pak. I thought that would work but it didn't. I also used the AK-12 you had Warp [nice skin BTW] Is it Warp's mod for me or is it the style i used?

The only one that ever work for me is derzobbiens future weaponry pack. You want to know why? He gives you the whole pack file, Like baseskin.pak! Maybe some of you kind modders can make packs of weapons that way for us Macs with windows not installed. That would be lovely :3 Edit: If you hate the Macs I get it i do to, i used this for work and then got stuck with it for gaming :/ [It's a desktop not a laptop]

P.S. I don't use guns from 3 different modders, i usually like packs that have the SMG, Rifle and shotty in a a pack.
1Shot1Kill
Modder
Modder

Legomax11 wrote:
I can take the .pak. then i can open it and it creates another folder[only way it works without a different app] and then i mod the folder with modifications to openspades. Then i compress the folder to a .zip. and turn that to a .pak. I thought that would work but it didn't. I also used the AK-12 you had Warp [nice skin BTW] Is it Warp's mod for me or is it the style i used?

The only one that ever work for me is derzobbiens future weaponry pack. You want to know why? He gives you the whole pack file, Like baseskin.pak! Maybe some of you kind modders can make packs of weapons that way for us Macs with windows not installed. That would be lovely :3 Edit: If you hate the Macs I get it i do to, i used this for work and then got stuck with it for gaming :/ [It's a desktop not a laptop]

P.S. I don't use guns from 3 different modders, i usually like packs that have the SMG, Rifle and shotty in a a pack.
Modders use individual kv6s instead of .paks, so you can combine any OpenSpades mod you want. I'm sure if you requested a modder they could pack their skins in a .pak instead.
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

1Shot1Kill wrote:
Legomax11 wrote:

Modders use individual kv6s instead of .paks, so you can combine any OpenSpades mod you want. I'm sure if you requested a modder they could pack their skins in a .pak instead.

1Shot is right. However, I'm not sure what you mean when you are reffering to my AK12? -
Legomax11 wrote:
Is it Warp's mod for me or is it the style i used?
Legomax11
Deuced Up

Warp wrote:
1Shot1Kill wrote:
Legomax11 wrote:

1Shot is right. However, I'm not sure what you mean when you are reffering to my AK12? -
Legomax11 wrote:
Is it Warp's mod for me or is it the style i used?
yeah after i posted that i tired 4 different guns for that method i used to make it to a .pak. It's like the file is corrupted or not really in the right form idk Green_tongue
Legomax11
Deuced Up

1Shot1Kill wrote:
Legomax11 wrote:

Yeah that would be nice, me and derzobbien are friends but some of the other modders would rather pull together their request line full of stuff like you instead of copying them in a .pak and putting that up for download for me and possibly other people [by other people i refer to the MACs that play this game which is probably not a lot.
macdja38
Deuce

I have modded things perfectly fine using the built in archive utility in mac, make sure you're not creating a zip of a folder that contains the files the .pak used to contain, if that makes any sense

try using shift to select the player/weapons folder you want to be part of the pak file, right click and click compress, and use that file (should be named archive.zip) (yes, still rename it to pakwhatever).
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

I am a bit in a hurry now, so I'll skip some places. I'm not a Mac boy and I know very little about what you can do, but I know some things about OpenSpades behavior.

When you extract the .pak files, do you get folders like /Resources/Models/Weapons/SMG/ or /Resources/Scripts/Weapons/ ? If you do get these folders (and files inside them), then you are good to go without repacking them.
I am not kidding. OpenSpades should read from these folders (it does so on windows). Actually OS even "prefers" folders over .pak or .zip files.

I will repeat it again: If you get normal folder structure after extracting, you do not need to make .pak or .zip again. The game will read files from folders.

Also, here is file reading order (as yvt has stated):
Folders (/Resources/Models/Weapons/ etc.)
.zip archives
.pak archives
16 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Return to “OpenSpades Discussion”