Clock Town and Inferno (better versions of old maps)

The level/layout/play area.
9 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Sasquatch
Mapper
Mapper

The title says it all. The quality of my maps has improved from when I was making them over a year ago. Everyone's understanding of voxed, bitmap converters, blender, and slab6 have changed drastically. Burbs was a hit, and Maple island has received a lot of positive feedback. That being said, I didn't want all the old stuff I did to go to waste. So for the next unmeasurable unit of time, I will be reconstructing old maps. This includes everything from Termina to Scandinavia, Eastern Bay, Hell, and UFO's. I might even try and make something useful out of that really trippy mess I made, and pizza, even though those are pretty awful XD... Below is a growing list of map remakes I'm doing at the moment. Scroll down to see them in successive order.

Part 1 - Termina, now known as Clock Town

On my dedicated server, the brand new Termina has been up and running. With all the work uni has put me through, I literally haven't graced the site once, and technical issues caused the server to go down for a week or so. But the server should be 24/7 now, and there will be a separate thread on that coming shortly. Anyways, I think it's about time I release the specs of the map to the public.

Termina version 2.0: Clock Town

This is the classic Legend of Zelda town which is in the center of the Links travels in the N64 game, Majora's Mask.

Just as I always do, I sketched out an outline of the map first. But this time, it wasn't in a photo manipulation software. I spent an entire day watching videos of Majoras Mask walkthroughs (because I don't own the game anymore =[ ) and sketching out the map to scale on grid paper. I deducted that the town would have to be 90*90 blocks, which was a perfect fit. This map doesn't even include all the indoor space and extras I threw in.

Now this is what the map looks like from a birds eye view in game. However, the map wont look like this, because there's a giant moon image hanging overhead!

Every single building you can go inside of in the real game, you can go in in this voxel reproduction as well. There are of course a few size constraints on some of the rooms, because in video games, indoor capacities are not restricted by the sizes of their surroundings. But for the most part, the indoors are 90% accurate.

I also made sure that nearly every component in-game that you can get to the top of, you can reach in the voxel map. Clock Town is filled with secrets, and passageways which are just as fun to explore in Ace of Spades. Because I had the space, I even included the Bombers hideout passageway, which leads to an observatory that appears to be beyond the city boundaries, but actually isn't.

You can come through the other side and find the Clock Tower, and yet another discrete outlet to this passage.

This leads right to South Clock Town, the major hub of activity in Majora's Mask.

South Clock Town

North Clock Town

East Clock Town

West Clock Town

I'll assume the pictures have done enough speaking. If you want to download it and host/play it for yourself, here is the link. You can also play on my dedicated server, where Clock Town is one of a half dozen or so maps in the rotation. There is a link to that in my signature. Note that this is set up for a mini-ctf game mode, but there is no CTF on field, so it's very much like TDM. You're more than welcome to change the game mode if you wish.

Clock Town:
http://www.mediafire.com/?tzxhbsk25k8syrf

Part 2 - Hell, now known as Inferno

Hell was a good idea that I approached in a very experimental way. I built it thinking people would have a fun time playing on a brutal and challenging map, but in actuality it scared a lot of people away. The small cliffs, lack of tapered edges, and lethal drops in tiny holes in a huge maze of lava made it a real pain in the ass to play on. I've made some amends that should make playing in the underworld more rewarding, as well as a much more impressive aesthetic appeal.

The big difference here is that the terrain is now much more linear and easy to cross. Here, doesn't this look a lot more fair?

The other big detail is the addition of an actual ceiling, so you really feel like you're in hell. Obviously much more inspired by the Nether than the last version. There are skulls coming out of the walls in a few places too.

I added lots of detail like cracks in the sky revealing the untouchable salvation, with lava flowing out of them. There are also a few hidden caves if you look hard enough, aiding navigation and sniping from a few ceiling points.

Inferno:
http://www.mediafire.com/?xeadvss8aapv3fa
Last edited by Sasquatch on Sun May 12, 2013 12:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
Lostmotel
League Participant
League Participant

Really cool map Blue_Happy1
I can see that you put much effort into it.
But that picture of the moon after the map loaded... Green_Surprised2 I was really scared xD
Cajun Style
Deuced Up

Doesn't own game. Still makes a more accurate replica than I ever could >_<
This really was one of the maps I wished there was a remake of. But I never expected one to come. Blue_D'oh Green_Happy3
BTW I love acidcrackmeth. Don't know what other people's problems are with that map.
Buffet_of_Lies
Mapper
Mapper

Love the graph paper map. I'm really surprised you didn't do a scale architectural mock-up in Lego.
Sasquatch
Mapper
Mapper

Buffet_of_Lies wrote:
Love the graph paper map. I'm really surprised you didn't do a scale architectural mock-up in Lego.
Ha, that would be overkill a little. But eyeballing all the features on the inside was good enough. On an unrelated note, I wish someone else would host this as an arena map or something. My server keeps glitching and falling off the server list for some unknown reason, and I don't have the time to manage it and restart it all the time.
Sasquatch
Mapper
Mapper

Also, update. The second half of the post now contains Inferno.
Buffet_of_Lies
Mapper
Mapper

Excellent. I always liked your maps and the very organic feel they usually have. I remember seeing them early on and it was like walking around some kind of alien sculpture garden. Really glad you decided to stick with the community.
izzy
Head Admin / Co-founder
Head Admin / Co-founder

Beautiful maps. Clock Town would probably be very good for arena.
Sasquatch
Mapper
Mapper

Buffet_of_Lies wrote:
Excellent. I always liked your maps and the very organic feel they usually have. I remember seeing them early on and it was like walking around some kind of alien sculpture garden. Really glad you decided to stick with the community.
Thank you. But it's not easy, especially with the time I invest in school and practicing my guitar playing. It's also a little discouraging being a map-maker for AoS, because maps with high detail wont necessarily make it onto any servers, it can end up being a lot of wasted work. I agree though, that there is a rewarding experience just seeing what kind of alien landscapes you can sculpt in a highly manipulable voxel environment. It offers some sort of surreal solitary experience. That's why I've been hoping for a single player mode of some sort, particularly zombies, for a long time now. If we had some simple zombie bots, it would make user created content much more valuable, because the use of that content wouldn't be restricted by how many people want to use it at any one time. I could see myself producing a lot more maps, and even other content if I could launch a program to load in single player, and just run around for a few hours every weekend and experiment with sneaking around and shooting zombies in my own environments. But alas, I suppose beggars can't be choosers.
izzy wrote:
Beautiful maps. Clock Town would probably be very good for arena.
That was the original intent. If you spent three minutes making a gate and picking spawn points, you could easily turn it into an arena map. But I may have to do that because nobody else will lol.
9 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Return to “Maps”