Iceball Project

Iceball is a moddable, open source, cross-platform engine and game inspired by AoS Classic. Created by GreaseMonkey.
Incompatible with PySnip/pyspades-based AoS Classic 0.75/0.76 servers.
1410 posts Page 5 of 94 First unread post
EssigGurkenFred
Deuced Up

I hope for the first it wouldn't have any updates.
PABH
Deuced Up

Semper wrote:
will it just be a copy of .75?
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha why would he want that?
GreaseMonkey
Coder
Coder

Featuresetwise, I'm aiming for this for the first release:
  • Spade, Block, Rifle, Grenade
  • 25 blocks, 100 when you go to your tent (this encourages building much more than the 50 start / 50 tent system and I was RAISED in the 50-50 thing)
  • 2 grenades, 4 when you go to your tent
  • Rifle as per 0.75 but with no random spread
  • Spade melee
  • Names of team members show up through walls
Stuff that Would Be Nice and will probably be chucked in if I can do it quickly enough:
  • Chat (if this doesn't happen in the first release, use Mumble for the time being) (EDIT: Implemented!)
  • Map (I'll make the intels easy to fake as per 0.60 and before) (EDIT: Implemented!)
  • Minimap (EDIT: Implemented!)
  • The red circles on the map when you capture the intel. (EDIT: Implemented!)
  • Decent admin tools. This probably won't happen at first, but the second release shouldn't take long once the first happens.
The squad thing looks like it could be a pain in the ass so I'll save that for the second release or maybe even later. And no, they are NOT /squad squads, but purely for organisation.

To prevent conflicts / abuse, maybe they should be purely clientside? I could possibly allow one to make their squad list public and/or to allow subscriptions to someone's squad list.

Another cool thing to try for a later release would be map annotations.
Last edited by GreaseMonkey on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sample
Deuced Up

GreaseMonkey wrote:
  • 25 blocks, 100 when you go to your tent (this encourages building much more than the 50 start / 50 tent system and I was RAISED in the 50-50 thing)
  • Spade melee
Stuff that Would Be Nice and will probably be chucked in if I can do it quickly enough:
  • Chat (if this doesn't happen in the first release, use Mumble for the time being)
  • Map (I'll make the intels easy to fake as per 0.60 and before)
  • Minimap
  • The red circles on the map when you capture the intel.
  • Decent admin tools. This probably won't happen at first, but the second release shouldn't take long once the first happens.
Like it 8-)
MrHaaax
Modder
Modder

Sample wrote:
GreaseMonkey wrote:
  • Spade melee
  • Chat (if this doesn't happen in the first release, use Mumble for the time being)
  • Minimap
Like it 8-)
Now this... is a nice one.
Altho only one weapon could be boring, but i guess it could do for now.
On the other hand, can you post some screenies?
EssigGurkenFred
Deuced Up

GreaseMonkey wrote:
  • Spade melee
  • Minimap
The squad thing looks like it could be a pain in the ass so I'll save that for the second release or maybe even later. And no, they are NOT /squad squads, but purely for organisation.

To prevent conflicts / abuse, maybe they should be purely clientside? I could possibly allow one to make their squad list public and/or to allow subscriptions to someone's squad list.

Another cool thing to try for a later release would be map annotations.
Sounds cool but only rifle? I hope you will be able to add another weapon in the second or third update...
Priok
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

that sounds great, I tested out the version you have in the first post, and it seems pretty good so far. nice work dude

I think just the rifle for now is good, it will also be fun to see what it's like to play with only the rifle again.
Fluttershy
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday

GreaseMonkey wrote:
[*]Spade, Block, Rifle, Grenade

Where be the shotgun?

At any rate, I do love how youre actually making the tent something worth going to. Except the 4 grenades part.
Semper
Deuced Up

Sounds good!
HoboHob
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

If other guns be added, make em suck xD
GreaseMonkey
Coder
Coder

We have 3 weapons already (they need to be weaponised, of course): Rifle, Spade, Grenade.

Shotgun is a possibility but will probably not be until after the second decent update.
With that said, if other weapons are added (I suspect this'll be a "when", I'll ensure that they're all optional though), the rifle will be designated as the primary "general purpose" weapon.
I'm thinking of adding a heavy chaingun with a fairly long windup time (say 3-5 seconds before it can do any real damage) which COULD be useful for, say, cleaning out tunnels. But anything like that needs to be noobproof, and so I don't think I'll make it easy to grief stuff (plus if you select this weapon you won't need to break any blocks to get teamkilled).

So anyhow, what needs to happen now is Lua-controlled map loading / switching (hopefully allowing for having more than one map loaded at once, could be useful for, say, portals and whatnot), which shouldn't be hard at all, I'll just need to get my head around it.

Yeah.

And no, I don't have networking working yet. Once I start getting some serious testing though, I think I'll need to pull out my old laptop, as that's got a bit more grunt than my desktop (which runs it at about 5FPS).
Semper
Deuced Up

Will we still use slab6 to modify the weapons?
MrHaaax
Modder
Modder

Semper wrote:
No, as we won't using kv6, but rather pmf.
We will have our own editor soon.
Semper
Deuced Up

MrHaaax wrote:
Semper wrote:
No, as we won't using kv6, but rather pmf.
Thanks for the info.
GreaseMonkey
Coder
Coder

MrHaaax wrote:
First post in thread, Windows build creatively hidden somewhere, read docs/editor_pmf.txt for more info (hint, the first key is F2).

Although it's a bit crap, so feel free to make a better one.
1410 posts Page 5 of 94 First unread post
Return to “Iceball”