OpenSpades introduction

OpenSpades is an open source alternative client for AoS Classic and beyond! Runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Created by yvt.
Compatible with AoS Classic.
665 posts Page 20 of 45 First unread post
GreaseMonkey
Coder
Coder

Thresh wrote:
CommieBuffalo wrote:
Is this bad? :c
that's my situation, and it means that your intel chipset is shit (like me)

yvt, any hope of support for opengl 1.4?
or no way in hell?
"i need a graphics accelerator what the fuck is this shit fuck you it's your fault my old piece of shit can't run this game"

Iceball has support for OpenGL 1.1, but that GPU would run it quite badly. I don't see OpenSpades being much better even if support for OpenGL 1.1 was added.
So, uhh, get a computer with a better GPU.
Daniel_Laixer wrote:
Ok, now going serious.

Getting this new version to work on Ubuntu has been a pain in the ass. I haven't managed to install it yet, but I'm able to run it from the compiled dir and the game actually works fine.

But when I do "sudo make install" I get the following message:
Code: Select all
make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.
It's just frustating. WTF is going on?
Simple. You run it from the compiled dir.
Don't bother with installing it, as accessing the right resources will be tricky.
Islanzi
Deuce

Awesome stuff, Open spades looks amazing. This and IceBall are spectacular, amazing works. You guys keep up this awesome work.
liljoe1997
Deuced Up

Update!
0.0.8 is finally out but I have one problem that pisses me off a lot...
My game keeps on crashing RIGHT when it is almost done loading! Blue_Rifle Green_Rifle
I checked My System Report to see if my specs are good...

Here is My System Report:

OpenGL Renderer:
GeForce GT 640M LE/PCIe/SSE2

OpenGL Version:

GLSL Version:
4.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

OpenGL Extensions:
Your video card supports all required OpenGL extensions/features.

GL_ARB_multitexture is supported
GL_ARB_shader_objects is supported
GL_ARB_shading_language_100 is supported
GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two is supported
GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object is supported
GL_EXT_framebuffer_object is supported

Other Extensions:
GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB is supported
GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit is supported
GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic is supported

Miscellaneous:
Max Texture Size: 16384
Max 3D Texture Size: 2048
Max Combined Texture Image Units: 192
Max Vertex Texture Image Units: 32

Seriously, I can play the other OpenSpades Versions on Maxed out settings at 60FPS with no problem excluding the random disconnects, random death freezes and bad hit detection no matter what settings I try out.

When my game crashes... my only way out of the loading screen is to click my mouse, right when I click my mouse...
Both, The System Log and The Game Launcher close down at the SAME TIME, and I cannot find a way to get the error messages, lastly...
All I get is a Pop up that says "OpenSpades.exe client has stopped working"

Yeah "OpenSpades.exe client has stopped working" RIGHT WHEN IT IS ALMOST DONE LOADING Blue_Rifle Green_Rifle
Sorry for this is very frustrating for me... I have a machine that have a good enough GPU to run on Max but the problem is, that it crashes near the end of loading the game.... I can make it to the loading screen until it is almost done loading then that's it... so much for enjoying OpenSpades with a new update (sigh)

Okay wanna know what methods I tried in order to get me into at least one server yet fail at the same time?
Here they are:

First:I tried selecting a server from the Server list in the client...
It can load the game then it crashes right when it is almost done...

Second: I tried the Old Fashioned "copy & paste" IP trick...
all I get was "Invalid cg_protocolVersion, should be 3 or 4".
Note: I used "Copy Link Location" so I don't get any missing numbers and such...

*Update* Thanks to learn_more for providing me this method (found in Note2) to try out.
Spoiler:
still didn't work though
Note2: I changed the cg_protocolVersion in the advanced settings.
First I used 4 then I got a message saying "Protocol Version Not Compatible "or something like that...
Next I then used 3, I get the same Freeze up Error (Same problem as First Method)

Third: I Tried using Alt+Tab, Didn't work

Fourth: I tried Windowed mode aaaand... when it freezes it shows "OpenSpades.exe client has stopped working" even the log freezes up, and like I said, as soon as I click, bye bye windows of the main program being ran.

Sorry for this Rage-like post... This issue for me, is driving me nuts!
I'm NOT saying Screw this game, I just wanna see if others have this problem as well...
Whoever is in charge of the development of this...
Keep up the good work and please fix this problem if other users have it as well.
Last edited by liljoe1997 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
learn_more
Coder
Coder

liljoe1997 wrote:
Note: I used "Copy Link Location" so I don't get any missing numbers and such...
how about, open advanced settings and correct the protocol version?
liljoe1997
Deuced Up

learn_more wrote:
liljoe1997 wrote:
how about, open advanced settings and correct the protocol version?
I tried it aaand I got the same Freeze up error Blue_NotHappy Green_Nothappy
Daniel_Laixer
Deuced Up

GreaseMonkey wrote:
Don't bother with installing it, as accessing the right resources will be tricky.
Call me stubborn, but I think not installing the compiled source is a half done job.
Possibly it's a simple problem...

If I run "cmake -P cmake_install.cmake" I get something like
Install configuration:""
And nothing else, just that single line. I've been googling for a solution and I haven't found something yet.

Maybe I have to specify an aditional variable, like CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX. My knowledge about compiling is quite limited, and even more when I never used cmake before, so I don't know what else to do.

By the way, has anyone else tried to compiled this on a GNU/Linux distro or am I the only one?
learn_more
Coder
Coder

Daniel_Laixer wrote:
GreaseMonkey wrote:
Call me stubborn, but I think not installing the compiled source is a half done job.
Possibly it's a simple problem...

If I run "cmake -P cmake_install.cmake" I get something like
Install configuration:""
And nothing else, just that single line. I've been googling for a solution and I haven't found something yet.

Maybe I have to specify an aditional variable, like CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX. My knowledge about compiling is quite limited, and even more when I never used cmake before, so I don't know what else to do.

By the way, has anyone else tried to compiled this on a GNU/Linux distro or am I the only one?
i built it on ubuntu x64, worked just fine and dandy...

although i dont think i did the make install (i don't think it is present anymore)
Skynet
Modder
Modder

I'm having the same problem as liljoe1997
Daniel_Laixer
Deuced Up

learn_more wrote:

although i dont think i did the make install (i don't think it is present anymore)
Running the OpenSpades exectuable after compliling it worked for me too. Actually I did it just as a test, I didn't expect it to work because it wasn't installed, but it did.

Making a .deb package with checkinstall was one of the reasons I wanted to install it.
learn_more
Coder
Coder

Daniel_Laixer wrote:
learn_more wrote:

Running the OpenSpades exectuable after compliling it worked for me too. Actually I did it just as a test, I didn't expect it to work because it wasn't installed, but it did.

Making a .deb package with checkinstall was one of the reasons I wanted to install it.
i have no clue about how all that works,
if you feel it's needed feel free to make a ticket at github
and please include as much info as possible, the author is a mac user, and im a windows user so yeah ;)
Sonarpulse
Coder
Coder

cmake will generate deb? Oo this could really help us extend the fanbase.
yvt
Coder
Coder

OpenSpades 0.0.8 had serious bugs -- Please update!

OpenSpades 0.0.8b github page: https://github.com/yvt/openspades/releases/tag/v0.0.8b

Fixed some serious bugs
  • Global Illumination crashed on Windows (the root cause is still unknown)
  • cg_protocolVersion defaulted to empty value, which resulted in a connection failure. Now it defaults to 3.
  • Turned a compiler optimization option on.
Sonarpulse
Coder
Coder

Yo, I'm getting some error about not having cURL. Is this cURL the executable or cURL the library that I need? Because I definitely have the executable.
yvt
Coder
Coder

Sonarpulse wrote:
Yo, I'm getting some error about not having cURL. Is this cURL the executable or cURL the library that I need? Because I definitely have the executable.
You need a cURL library and headers (on Debian the package name looks like libcurl3-openssl-dev).
Daniel_Laixer
Deuced Up

Sonarpulse wrote:
cmake will generate deb? Oo this could really help us extend the fanbase.
Before cmake was required to compile OpenSpades I managed to make a working .deb package

To make a .deb package with checkinstall you have to run the command "sudo checkinstall" instead of "sudo make install". I don't know much about compiling or programming, but I think I can make the package even if the source has been compiled with cmake.

Now that yvt has released OS 0.0.8b I will give it another try when I get home.
665 posts Page 20 of 45 First unread post
Return to “OpenSpades Discussion”